"Tataouine" Gouvernorat de Tataouine by Kid-A

Gouvernorat de Tataouine Travel Guide: 86 reviews and 260 photos

We chose to visit Tataouine because it's within easy reach of Djerba, and because it's a good central location to get around and see many of the ksars in the area.

Tataouine has some interesting things to see, but I think most people visit for the same reason we did.

____

What is a Ksar?

From what I was told, these are storage sheds built by the nomadic tribes who used to move around in this area.

The story goes like this:
The nomadic peoples stored grain and other food supplies in these small rooms (the doors had complicated locking systems I didn't completely understand). So then, when the tribe -- or whatever they were called -- left to go out and be nomads, one person would stay behind. If anyone came around and broke into the storage, the one person would hide and figure out where the invaders came from. Then, when the nomads returned, they would go and pillage that other group. Over time, the different groups learned not to touch each other's stuff. So that system worked.

Now, most of these are in ruins. The one pictured here is probably the best condition of them all, but it's also a very small site with plenty of tourists. Our favorite was a place called Beni Barka, where no tourists ventured.

I'll be adding more and more photos as I get time.

• Last visit to Gouvernorat de Tataouine: Jan 2008
  • Intro Updated Jan 14, 2008

Kid-A

“Every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around.”

Badges & Stats in Gouvernorat de Tataouine

Have you been to Gouvernorat de Tataouine?

Latest Activity in Gouvernorat de Tataouine