"Tataouine" Gouvernorat de Tataouine by Kid-A
Gouvernorat de Tataouine Travel Guide: 86 reviews and 260 photos
We chose to visit Tataouine because it's within easy reach of Djerba, and because it's a good central location to get around and see many of the ksars in the area.
Tataouine has some interesting things to see, but I think most people visit for the same reason we did.
From what I was told, these are storage sheds built by the nomadic tribes who used to move around in this area.
The story goes like this:
The nomadic peoples stored grain and other food supplies in these small rooms (the doors had complicated locking systems I didn't completely understand). So then, when the tribe -- or whatever they were called -- left to go out and be nomads, one person would stay behind. If anyone came around and broke into the storage, the one person would hide and figure out where the invaders came from. Then, when the nomads returned, they would go and pillage that other group. Over time, the different groups learned not to touch each other's stuff. So that system worked.
Now, most of these are in ruins. The one pictured here is probably the best condition of them all, but it's also a very small site with plenty of tourists. Our favorite was a place called Beni Barka, where no tourists ventured.
I'll be adding more and more photos as I get time.
We stopped to use the bathroom at this hotel, and were really impressed with it. It's a bungalow-style hotel and done... more travel advice
Kid-A's Related Pages
Gouvernorat de Tataouine Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tataouine : to the end of the world ??????"
- "Ksar Haddada."
- "Very tipical"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gouvernorat de Tataouine
- Hotels in Gouvernorat de Tataouine
- Transportation in Gouvernorat de Tataouine
- Restaurants in Gouvernorat de Tataouine
- Shopping in Gouvernorat de Tataouine
- Warnings and Dangers in Gouvernorat de Tataouine
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gouvernorat de Tataouine
- 2 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Gouvernorat de Tataouine?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gouvernorat de Tataouine
Photos in Gouvernorat de TataouineSee All Photos (24)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kaiserslautern Intro, 33 reviews, 111 photos, 6 travelogues
- Cape Town Intro, 18 reviews, 70 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ile de Jerba Intro, 16 reviews, 32 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Livingstone Intro, 13 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaborone Intro, 12 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue
- Izmir Intro, 11 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rosmalen Intro, 6 reviews, 26 photos, 4 travelogues
- Gouvernorat de Tataouine Intro, 2 reviews, 24 photos, 5 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 3 reviews, 21 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 7 reviews, 13 photos