"Bursa-First capital city of Ottoman empire" Bursa Ili by Tuna_ank
Bursa Ili Travel Guide: 380 reviews and 1,096 photos
Bursa is the Turkey’s fourth largest and one of the most industrialized city . It was also the first capital city of Ottoman empire(1326-1453), before istanbul. (That’s why you can can find many mouseleum of Ottoman’s first sultans. ) The earliest known site at this location was Cius, at Philip V of Macedonia time in 202 BC. Prusias renamed the city after himself, as Prusa. It was important place at the Hellenistic, Roman and Byzantine periods. Its strategic location on the westernmost end of the famous Silk Road ensured Prusa to remain as one of the largest centers of silk trade throughout the Medieval period. It is the end of the silk road, that’s why you may find beautiful silks, many kind of markets here. There are also very nice mosques. And you will surprise with Irgandi bridge.
Karagöz and Hacivat shadow play characters were historic personalities who lived and are buried in Bursa.
It is 2,5 hours by bus from istanbul and 5 hours from Ankara. But you may also reach by ferry to Yalova in one hour and you must go 1 hour more by bus for Bursa.
Bursa is also home to some of the most famous Turkish dishes, especially candied chestnuts and iskender kebap.
My most important places list of Bursa:
-Irgandi Covered Bridge
-Yesil Cami ( Green Mosque) and Yesil türbe (Green mouseleum)
-Ulucami (Grand Mosque)
-Orhan ve Osman gazi külliyeleri (Orhan ve Osman gazi mouseleums)
-Bayezid I Mosque and complex (külliye)
-Emir Sultan Mosque and complex (külliye)
-Markets: Koza han, Pirinc han etc.
Around of it:
-Uludag National Park and ski center
-Hot springs of Oylat
-Beaches; Armutlu, Kumla, Kurþunlu, Mudanya
-Museums; Bursa kent müzesi (City Museum) , Bursa Archeology Museum, Bursa Turkish Architecture Museum, Uluumay museum.
This small, cute village is ~10 km far from Bursa. You may see very old houses and buy some village products. more travel advice
After iskender kebap Bursa is famous with "inegöl köfte". We prefer to eat it at "inegöl" town. :-)) It is a meatball... more travel advice
Tuna_ank's Related Pages
Bursa Ili Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bursa The Capital of Ottoman Empire"
- "Bursa-First capital city of Ottoman empire"
- "The capital of Ottamans"
- "Bursa-One of Imperial Capitals of Ottomans"
- "A day in Bursa"
- "SILK BAZAAR"
- "last stop of the silk route"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bursa Ili
- Hotels in Bursa Ili
- Transportation in Bursa Ili
- Nightlife in Bursa Ili
- Restaurants in Bursa Ili
- Shopping in Bursa Ili
- Warnings and Dangers in Bursa Ili
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bursa Ili
- 31 Reviews
- 104 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Bursa Ili?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bursa Ili
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ankara Intro, 36 reviews, 91 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Ili Intro, 22 reviews, 100 photos, 6 travelogues
- Turkey Intro, 17 reviews, 93 photos, 9 travelogues
- Vietnam Intro, 6 reviews, 80 photos, 8 travelogues
- Kars Ili Intro, 19 reviews, 67 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bursa Ili Intro, 20 reviews, 59 photos
- Edirne Intro, 4 reviews, 71 photos, 7 travelogues
- Tarsus Intro, 19 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- Burdur Ili Intro, 13 reviews, 55 photos, 2 travelogues
- Guatemala Intro, 2 reviews, 58 photos, 7 travelogues