"TARSUS-The city where faiths are interlocated" Tarsus by Tuna_ank
Tarsus Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 65 photos
Tarsus city is a part of Mersin(içel).
Tarsus was the birth place of Saint Paul, who is very important for christianity.2008 was St. paul year. You can see St. Paul church and cathedral. You may see also signs about Prophet Daniel Judaism, Ýslamic places, christian caves , Shaman belief, Hitite gods, Mithraism religion, Pagan gods etc...
With a history going back over 9,000 years Tarsus has long been an important stop for traders, a focal point of many civilisations including the Ancient Romans when Tarsus was capital of the province of Cilicia, scene of the first meeting between Mark Antony and Cleopatra and birthplace of Saint Paul.
In historical times, the city was first ruled by the Hittites, Assyrians and then the Persian Empire. Alexander the Great passed through with his armies in 333 BC and nearly met his death here after a bath in the Cydnus. By this time Tarsus was already largely influenced by Greek language and culture, and as part of the Seleucid Empire it became more and more hellenized. Strabo praises the cultural level of Tarsus in this period with its philosophers, poets and linguists. The schools of Tarsus rivaled Athens and Alexandria. 2 Maccabees (4:30) records its revolt in about 171 BC against Antiochus IV Epiphanes, who had renamed the town Antiochia on the Cydnus. In his time the library of Tarsus held 200,000 books, including a huge collection of scientific works.
Tuna_ank's Related Pages
Tarsus Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tarsus - the birthplace of St. Paul"
- "TARSUS-The city where faiths are interlocated"
- "Tarsus is in the crossroads of history and belief"
- "The well of Saint Paul"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tarsus
- 19 Reviews
- 50 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Tarsus?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tarsus
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ankara Intro, 36 reviews, 91 photos, 2 travelogues
- Istanbul Ili Intro, 22 reviews, 100 photos, 6 travelogues
- Turkey Intro, 17 reviews, 93 photos, 9 travelogues
- Vietnam Intro, 6 reviews, 80 photos, 8 travelogues
- Kars Ili Intro, 19 reviews, 67 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bursa Ili Intro, 20 reviews, 59 photos
- Edirne Intro, 4 reviews, 71 photos, 7 travelogues
- Tarsus Intro, 19 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- Burdur Ili Intro, 13 reviews, 55 photos, 2 travelogues
- Guatemala Intro, 2 reviews, 58 photos, 7 travelogues