"Book Village" Hay-On-Wye by Zmrzlina
Hay-On-Wye Travel Guide: 26 reviews and 34 photos
If I had a lot of money, I'd want to go back to Hay-on-Wye and spend a few days in one of the inns so I could be at the bookstores, all 40 or so of them, when they open and stay until they close. Maybe even get a job working at the 12th century crumbling castle that is now a bookstore in places where it still has a roof. Sort of like Paul Collins did, the author of Sixpence House, a book I highly recommend if you are going to Hay-on-Wye because it is about the town, and even if you aren't because it is a beautiful book.
My pictures really don't do the town justice, it is very pretty. There was a bit of construction going on while I was there and I was forgetting to take pictures because I was so busy looking for books to bring home.
I don't think there are many real buys in this town because the shopowners know books. It would be a rare thing to find something really precious that got by the eagle eyes of these folk. However, if you are going to find a buy, it is probably at the Castle, which is picture to the right. The books you see are left outside in all weather and payment is left on the honor system. And inside the castle there are many more rooms filled with books, but I think those are very well sorted.
And even if you don't like books, go here for the ride. The only way here is by bus and it is a winding, narrow route that feature tall hedges on either side. There are places where a bus and a car going opposite directions can't pass each other. It was quite a scary ride, but fun!
And then there is the Welsh countryside. Oh my goodness...gorgeous.
- Pros:Books, books, books and lovely countryside
- Cons:Buses don't run all that frequent and I bet it is crowded in the summer
- In a nutshell:Plan a full day sometime in spring or fall and GO!
Plan to get to Hay-on-Wye as early as possible so you don't feel rushed. If you plan it right, you can get out before... more travel advice
Zmrzlina's Related Pages
Hay-On-Wye Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Books, Books and again: Books"
- "Little market town to book empire"
- "Paradise for bibliophiles"
- "Book Village"
- "When was I here?"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hay-On-Wye
- Hotels in Hay-On-Wye
- Transportation in Hay-On-Wye
- Restaurants in Hay-On-Wye
- Shopping in Hay-On-Wye
- Warnings and Dangers in Hay-On-Wye
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hay-On-Wye
- 2 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Hay-On-Wye?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hay-On-Wye
Photos in Hay-On-WyeSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Boston Intro, 13 reviews, 22 photos, 4 travelogues
- Vychodna 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 13 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Austria Intro, 2 reviews, 22 photos, 2 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 13 reviews, 11 photos
- Slovakia Intro, 8 reviews, 14 photos, 2 travelogues
- Niagara Falls Intro, 6 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Brugge Intro, 4 reviews, 14 photos, 2 travelogues
- Scituate Intro, 7 reviews, 10 photos, 2 travelogues
- Canterbury Intro, 2 reviews, 13 photos, 2 travelogues