"Namibia" Namibia by Terios

Namibia Travel Guide: 2,186 reviews and 6,442 photos

Kaokoland

A lot of serious thought went into the decision to take a self drive adventure in Namibia. What, having read the articles of big 4x4 with strong engines and low range being the only true way to be confident about traversing the Cunene river and driving over van Zyls pass, what chance did I have of making it in a Daihatsu Terios 2.

I chose this entry level 4x4 vehicle because it was all I could afford. The vehicle had to get me to work and back for eleven months of the year, be light on fuel and take me to far away destinations for one month of the year. It also had to be capable of going off road in order to visit unpopulated and scenic spots. I found over the years that determination to achieve often out ways what others think a vehicles capability is. Articles of Landy verses Cruiser are interesting but I have often driven past Landys bogged down in the Mozambique sand, Cruisers stuck in the mud in Botswana. The light weight Terios just floats over thick sand and does not sink into the mud.

Namibia is situated in the south-western part of the African continent, bordering South Africa, Botswana, Angola, Zambia and the Atlantic Ocean. Namibia is a vast and semi-arid country, but had received exceptionally heavy rains this season just before we left on our trip. It had transformed the normally arid landscape into absolute beauty. Many of the river beds which are normally dry were covered by a few centimeters of flowing water. The trees and grasses were a lush green with wild flowers blooming spasmodically in the valleys

The roads are rough in many places, but then who wants to travel at speed when touring. If you did you would miss much of the beauty and splendour of this wonderful country.

• Last visit to Namibia: Apr 2008
  • Intro Updated Aug 22, 2009

Comments

Ranked Member

Badges & Stats in Namibia

Have you been to Namibia?

Latest Activity in Namibia