"Explanation Of My Home Page Photo" Terios's Profile

Saga Of The Missing Plate

While camped at Pomene in Mozambique, someone undoubtedly thought they needed my number plate more than I did and subsequently removed it from my vehicle during the night while I slept. I did not notice that it was missing when we packed up camp in the morning and happily drove off heading for Inhambane. It was only when I stopped some 20km down the road to view the scenery that my wife saw that the rear plate was missing.

Packed in the vehicle was a piece of 6mm temper board which was painted white, it doubled as a bread board come surfing plank and was about to be fashioned into a number plate. Using a hack-saw I managed to cut the temper board to number plate size. A screwdriver was used to bore the bolt holes while my son Barry cut strips of insulation tape to form the letters and numbers. Once complete and fitted to the vehicle it looked pretty good and satisfied the police at two check points. I was questioned by the police about the colour of the letters / numbers, which in South Africa should be blue. On both occasions the Mozambique police accepted my explanation and allowed me to continue my journey without issuing a fine.

Travels

I have toured South Africa fairly extensively with my wife and two sons and we have visited most of its strange and remote locations. The family has toured through South Africa's neighbouring countries - Lesotho - Namibia - Botswana - Zimbabwe - Malawi - Mozambique - Swaziland - Still have to get to Angola, which is on the cards now that the war is over.

Transport

Our mode of travel when touring has always been by car, bakkie (LDV) or 4 x 4. We consider the trip to a destination to be part of the holiday and if we were to fly would miss everything on the way. I try desperately to plan a circuitous route when touring so that we do not traverse the same road twice.

Accommodation

When touring our tents and vehicles become our home with the occasional night spent in self catering. This type of accommodation alleviates the frustration and pressure of having to reach a booked destination by a certain time. Campsites are abundant in this part of the world and we have yet to find a town with all its sites fully booked. Camping makes it possible to enjoy the glorious outdoors and abundance of sunshine of which South Africa and its neighbouring countries are blessed with.

Motto

Our motto is to try and do or see something different every day. If we spot an information bureau we always ask them what can be seen in the area and seek advice on the best and most remote campsites. When a place has no more to offer our curiosity, it is time to move on.

Fishing

I enjoy both fresh & salt water fishing and if the opportunity arises while touring, will always throw a lure or fly for game fish. I do not enjoy fishing with bait; especially in dams for carp, colloquially known as (pap gooiers)

Hiking

We enjoy hiking, especially next to mountain streams. Seeking out a cool pool in a river in which to swim makes a few hours on the trail well worth while.

Go Off The Beaten Track

If there is a gravel road to the destination we like to take it in preference to the tar. It often makes a brilliant scenic drive, also rewarding the adventurous with sights of wildlife.

• Intro Updated Feb 14, 2007

Comments

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!