"Pazhaniyil Pazham Nee Appa -- Pazhani Appa!!" Palani by vpas
Palani Travel Guide: 28 reviews and 48 photos
Pazhani Malai or Palani Hills is located in Tamilnadu. It is an eastward extension of the Western Ghats. The most famous Murugan Temple in South India is located here. According to Legends, Murugan or Karthikeyan, son of Lord Shiva and Goddess Parvathi lost to his brother in a challegnge. The challenge being who would go around the world fastest to claim the fruit of Knowledge. Murugan being physically sound (he was the Commander- in - chief of the Devas/Demi Gods) got on to his peacock and went around the world. His older brother Lord Ganesh, who was very intelligent, thought for a moment and realised that his parents Lord Shiva and Goddess Parvathi were the universe themselves and just Circumambulated his parents and claimed the fruit. Murugan returned back after tediously going around the world only to find the fruit had already been won by his brother. In a fit of anger, he left the Himalayas and went Southwards and made the Palani Hills his home. Pazham nee in Tamil means You are the fruit. It is believed that the statue of Lord Murugan has medicinal properties. Many greedy devotees, removed portions of the statue and today the main statue is in an endangered state. The rituals and poojas are performed only for the metal deity since the main statue is not in a fit condition.
The climb upto Pazhani hills is beautiful. Lots of scenic spots can be found.
This is one of the most sought after local delicacies. It is an sweet offering made to Lord Murugan. It is made with... more travel advice
You will find many people carrying what are called Kavadis and going towards the temple. In the kaavadis, they would be... more travel advice
vpas' Related Pages
Palani Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Palani Murugan temple"
- "Pazhaniyil Pazham Nee Appa -- Pazhani Appa!!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Palani
- Hotels in Palani
- Transportation in Palani
- Restaurants in Palani
- Warnings and Dangers in Palani
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Palani
- 13 Reviews
- 0 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (25)
Have you been to Palani?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Palani
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hyderabad Intro, 60 reviews, 26 photos
- Katra Intro, 24 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ko Samet Intro, 20 reviews, 31 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 16 reviews, 33 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Karnataka Intro, 21 reviews, 28 photos
- Dubai Intro, 14 reviews, 20 photos
- Kodaikanal Intro, 14 reviews, 20 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lucknow Intro, 15 reviews, 18 photos
- Turkey Intro, 23 reviews, 9 photos
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 15 reviews, 17 photos