Bangkok Tourist Trap Tips by Shelton_K
Bangkok Tourist Traps: 353 reviews and 181 photos
Front view of the Fake Apple Ipod Nano
We visited the much recommended MBK shopping mall where on the 4th floor are dozens of small electronic shops and stalls. We purchased a 4Gb Apple I-pod Nano for a considerable sum of Baht 2600 - it came supposedly with leads, headphone, software CD, an apple box and a guarantee plus the lady gave us a slip for the VAT refund at the airport.
When we got back home the device did not work properly and we took it into an Apple shop and were told it is a fake. It has the Apple logo on it and says I-pod. It is nothing more than a mass produced cheap MP3 player from China with very little capacity. The CD we were given does not relate to the item.
Please don't buy any "branded" items from these outlets as they are likely to be fakes. Rather go to an authorised dealer and be familiar with all the details of the item you are after. We have no comeback on this at all. Every single outlet there selling these Ipod Nano's are selling fakes - they were all the same as we looked around at the time and went from shop to shop.
By the way, a true Apple Ipod nano has a serial number, a special Apple connecting slot rather than a firewire slot, it has Apple software and the control (shuttle) can be worked by sliding your finger over it as it is touch sensitive. These cannot. Also the Apple screen is smaller and the Nano does not have video.
Unique Suggestions: Please don't buy any "branded" items from these outlets as they are likely to be fakes.
Fun Alternatives: Go to an authorised dealer and be familiar with all the details of the item you are after. Get a proper international guarantee, test the item before you leave the shop and before you leave Thailand. For VAT returns the airport needs a special yellow form otherwise you will not get a return if you only have a standard shop invoice.
More Reviews (2)
Bangkok Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bangkok, Krung Thep - The best of"
- "tHe Bangkok in my mind.."
- "Heightened Senses X 2"
- "Links to Street Maps: Finding Your Way"
- "Bangkok - Which Means "Straw Hat!""
- "Fantastic Bangkok"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bangkok
- Hotels in Bangkok
- Transportation in Bangkok
- Nightlife in Bangkok
- Restaurants in Bangkok
- Shopping in Bangkok
- Warnings and Dangers in Bangkok
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bangkok
- 3 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (1)
Have you been to Bangkok?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bangkok
Photos in BangkokSee All Photos (6)
No friends yet.
- Grand Palace- 312 Reviews, 614 Photos
- Temple of the Dawn - Wat Arun- 165 Reviews, 320 Photos
- Damnoen Saduak Floating Market -Daytrip- 114 Reviews, 232 Photos
- Chatuchak Weekend Market- 110 Reviews, 162 Photos
- Daytrip - Ayuthaya- 63 Reviews, 136 Photos
- Wat Pho- 241 Reviews, 509 Photos
- Massage- 49 Reviews, 50 Photos
- Baiyoke Tower- 31 Reviews, 89 Photos
- Temple of the Golden Buddha - Wat Traimit- 63 Reviews, 126 Photos
- Patpong Night Market- 33 Reviews, 49 Photos
See All Bangkok Things to Do