"My hometown Roskilde" Top 5 Page for this destination Roskilde by OH_DK
Roskilde Travel Guide: 218 reviews and 729 photos
Roskilde still my hometown
This is the main tourist attraction in Roskilde and it has been the main burial site for Danish monarchs since the 15th century. I think it's the most beautiful cathedral we have in Denmark, and the twin spires dominate the skyline of the town. Sometimes there's light on the Cathedral in the night and you're abel to see it from far away when you drive into town. Since 1995 the cathedral has been listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Roskilde is also well known for the Viking Ship Museum and of course the annual Roskilde Festival (rock music festival) in end of June.
Apart from these main attractions there's a lot more to see - I will make tips about some of my favorites.
I was only 3 years old when my family moved to Roskilde. I grew up in the northern part of town not far from the fjord. 24 years later I moved to København (Copenhagen) when I started to work there. I know a lot of places in Roskilde and the countryside around the town and I still consider Roskilde my hometown even though I have now lived many years in Copenhagen - you're welcome to ask me questions about the town.
Roskilde is a very good shopping town and you can find most shops near the walkingstreet "Algade" and "Skomagergade" The nearest shopping centre to downtown is "Ro's torv" and you find it on "Københavnsvej" a few hundred meters east of the railroad.
On this map you can see some main streets and places:
the green road is the walking street,
the blue circle is the hostel at the harbour (take a look at my tip about this),
the yellow road is the main road around downtown (can be hard to find parking inside this),
the green areas are parks, and orange areas are main buildings.
My mom is still living in the house where I grew up.
She has a big garden with a lot of flowers:
Click here to see my mom's garden
- Pros:A lot of history, good shopping, everything within walking distance
This is a major burial site from the viking age from 800 - 1050 AC. The tombs are marked with stones formed like ships.... more travel advice
Roskilde is not a big town, and you can walk to most sights from the station within 30 minuttes. From the station to the... more travel advice
OH_DK's Related Pages
Roskilde Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "much more than the rock festival"
- "Roskilde Cathedral – Where the Danish Kings rest"
- "My hometown Roskilde"
- "I'll be back"
- "Roskilde - More than a cathedral"
- "Roskilde, City of Springs"
- "Lovely Roskilde of the fjords"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Roskilde
- Hotels in Roskilde
- Transportation in Roskilde
- Nightlife in Roskilde
- Restaurants in Roskilde
- Shopping in Roskilde
- Warnings and Dangers in Roskilde
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Roskilde
- 14 Reviews
- 35 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Roskilde?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Roskilde
- updated a Roskilde Travel Page "My hometown Roskilde"
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Can't sleep hot, hot, hot!"
- Uploaded a Photo to "My hometown Roskilde"
- Uploaded a Video to Roskilde
- Commented on one of la_beba's Roskilde travel pages
- Wrote a Review See the viking burial site at Gl. Lejre in Roskilde Things to Do
Top 10 Pages
- Copenhagen Intro, 14 reviews, 50 photos, 3 travelogues
- Karlsruhe Intro, 1 review, 59 photos, 8 travelogues
- Heidelberg Intro, 54 photos, 7 travelogues
- Christiansø Intro, 14 reviews, 39 photos, 2 travelogues
- Province of Benguet Intro, 52 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Roskilde Intro, 14 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sagada Intro, 5 reviews, 34 photos, 2 travelogues
- Malta Intro, 2 reviews, 34 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bled Intro, 11 reviews, 23 photos
- Darwin Intro, 4 reviews, 25 photos, 3 travelogues