"My hometown Roskilde" Top 5 Page for this destination Roskilde by OH_DK

Roskilde Travel Guide: 219 reviews and 709 photos

Roskilde Cathedral is the main tourist attraction

Roskilde still my hometown
This is the main tourist attraction in Roskilde and it has been the main burial site for Danish monarchs since the 15th century. I think it's the most beautiful cathedral we have in Denmark, and the twin spires dominate the skyline of the town. Sometimes there's light on the Cathedral in the night and you're abel to see it from far away when you drive into town. Since 1995 the cathedral has been listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Roskilde is also well known for the Viking Ship Museum and of course the annual Roskilde Festival (rock music festival) in end of June.
Apart from these main attractions there's a lot more to see - I will make tips about some of my favorites.
I was only 3 years old when my family moved to Roskilde. I grew up in the northern part of town not far from the fjord. 24 years later I moved to København (Copenhagen) when I started to work there. I know a lot of places in Roskilde and the countryside around the town and I still consider Roskilde my hometown even though I have now lived many years in Copenhagen - you're welcome to ask me questions about the town.

Map of Roskilde

Roskilde is a very good shopping town and you can find most shops near the walkingstreet "Algade" and "Skomagergade" The nearest shopping centre to downtown is "Ro's torv" and you find it on "Københavnsvej" a few hundred meters east of the railroad.
On this map you can see some main streets and places:
the green road is the walking street,
the blue circle is the hostel at the harbour (take a look at my tip about this),
the yellow road is the main road around downtown (can be hard to find parking inside this),
the green areas are parks, and orange areas are main buildings.

I used to live just north of the centre.

My mom is still living in the house where I grew up.
She has a big garden with a lot of flowers:
Click here to see my mom's garden

• Pros:A lot of history, good shopping, everything within walking distance
  • Last visit to Roskilde: Jan 2007
  • Intro Updated Feb 26, 2011

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Aug 22, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Hi Ove! Hope all is well with you. Was thinking about our good time together in Copenhagen, now a year ago. I have just finished my huge page on Copenhagen, and now Roskilde. I didn't realize I took so many photo's of the inside of the Cathedral. It certainly is a must see. Like your page, shows some different sights to see.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jun 26, 2010 at 1:29 AM

Ove, your hometown looks very nice! Thanks for your page!><><><

• ranger49's Profile Photo
    Feb 24, 2009 at 11:42 AM

Lucky you to live in Roskilde - I really enjoyed our too brief visit to your lovely hometown.

• Balam's Profile Photo
    Feb 24, 2009 at 10:53 AM

Great tips, i would love to visit the Viking Museum and see the real Long boats.

• joiwatani's Profile Photo
    Jan 10, 2009 at 9:18 AM

This sign of a man walking in a stick would probably mean a blind person in the United States. You think? So, over here, the pedestrian lanes for the blinds have usually have birds chirping, to let them know that it's okay to cross the street!

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
    Jun 19, 2008 at 2:11 AM

Love your mother's rosegarden! Regína

• marielexoteria's Profile Photo
    Nov 9, 2007 at 3:04 AM

Awesome place to see more Viking stuff! I'm definitely adding Roskilde to my travel list :)

• ATLC's Profile Photo
    Sep 10, 2007 at 11:46 PM

It's nice to see such current information. I feel like a holiday in Denmark is in order :-)

• la_beba's Profile Photo
    Sep 1, 2007 at 12:57 PM

Exactly a week ago we were out of dinner going for drinks at Mette Søgaard Hansen by the harbor in Roskilde...! I can't believe now I'm back home! :o( Wish I was there still...

• Waalewiener's Profile Photo
    Aug 28, 2007 at 7:36 PM

Haha there you all are .Row row row your Viking Ship gently down the River lalallala Looks like a lot of fun Ove Nice to see your Home Roskilde page

OH_DK

“Be respectful to people, places and animals where you travel”

Badges & Stats in Roskilde

Have you been to Roskilde?

Latest Activity in Roskilde