"Donsol and the Butanding" Donsol by OH_DK
Donsol Travel Guide: 111 reviews and 404 photos
I was very close to this whale shark and it was soo big.
I went on a trip to Donsol with barbie_sunrise especially to swimm with the whale sharks. We stayed in a great bamboo aircon hotel one night and waked up early in the morning to go whale shark watching. We were 3 French, 2 English, 1 Filipino (Barbie) and me together in a boat.
The Filipinos call this giant fish for Butanding.
If you want to read more about this giant fish of the tropical sea then have a look at this Wikipedia page: Whale sharks
You can find more of my under water whale shark pics in the travelouge.
The evening we arrived (April 12th) we also joined a trip to watch fire flies near a river. When the female guide arrived she told us that we could both go on the back of her motor bike ;) for the 1 km. ride to the boat. I was getting really tired on this evening tour because after traveling all the way from Baguio to Manila (6 hrs), re-organizing my luggage at the hotel the night before, taking a cap to the airport at 4 am there was no time to sleep at all.
We got on a boat down the river and suddenly saw a tree that looked like a Christmas tree with small flashing lights - it was the flies that were flying near the tree. It was beautiful and I tried to take take photos and videos but nothing was visable on the photos - you could only hear all the tropical sounds in the night on the video. At this point it was really hard for me to keep the eyes open and not zzzzzzzzzzz - I only waked up again when going back to the hotel - again 3 on the motorbike.
Bye the way it's not extrordinary to see more than 2 on a motorbike - and it seems to be accepted by the police. One place I saw 5 on one motorbike: husband, wife and 3 children.
Have also a look at Barbie's Donsol page here - it's good.
Taking a breath of air and a photo before diving down to the next Butanding.
- Pros:Whale sharks, great beach, nice hotel, lots of coconuts :)
- Cons:Can't think of any
- In a nutshell:One of the highlights of my Filipino trip
The day we arrived we booked us to a fireflie trip in a little boat. Barbie booked (I think at "Vitton" hotel... more travel advice
OH_DK's Related Pages
Donsol Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Donsol is Butanding"
- "DONSOL, HOME OF THE WHALESHARK"
- "Go for the Whale Sharks, Leave with a lot more"
- "Donsol:Swimming with the whale sharks"
- "Swimming with Whale Sharks in Donsol"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Donsol
- Hotels in Donsol
- Transportation in Donsol
- Nightlife in Donsol
- Restaurants in Donsol
- Shopping in Donsol
- Warnings and Dangers in Donsol
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Donsol
- 3 Reviews
- 26 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Donsol?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Donsol
Photos in DonsolSee All Photos (26)
Top 10 Pages
- Copenhagen Intro, 14 reviews, 50 photos, 3 travelogues
- Karlsruhe Intro, 1 review, 59 photos, 8 travelogues
- Heidelberg Intro, 54 photos, 7 travelogues
- Christiansø Intro, 14 reviews, 39 photos, 2 travelogues
- Province of Benguet Intro, 52 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Roskilde Intro, 14 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sagada Intro, 5 reviews, 34 photos, 2 travelogues
- Malta Intro, 2 reviews, 34 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bled Intro, 11 reviews, 23 photos
- Darwin Intro, 4 reviews, 25 photos, 3 travelogues