"Ballarat, or better: Sovereign Hill..." Top 5 Page for this destination Ballarat by Ronald_T
Ballarat Travel Guide: 207 reviews and 492 photos
It was only a one-day visit to Ballarat to see Sovereign Hill. However, I was so impressed by the town that the next time I will visit this place I stay here instead of the busy centre of Melbourne. Therefore, I will try to give you the information I have about Ballarat and most pictures are mine, but where it was not possible, I paste some from a brochure or postcards.
Ballarat has a fascinating and turbulent history, which has left the precious legacy of a city rich in heritage and culture. Gold was first discovered in Ballarat in 1851, with the second largest gold nugget ever found in Australia, the Welcome Nugget, discovered in 1858. Within a year, 20,000 miners had arrived from all over the world. In the early morning of December 3, 1854 another important piece of history centred on Ballarat. A brief yet bloody battle took place between protesting miners and Government soldiers. The Eureka Stockade Centre is believed to be on the site of this uprising. Today, you can loose yourself in the sense of history - from the streetscapes and architecture to Ballarat's award winning attraction, Sovereign Hill. The Ballarat Fine Art Gallery proudly displays the original Eureka flag and along with Montrose Historic Cottage, provides fascinating insights into life in the 1850s. Lydiard Street and Sturt Street are renowned for their Victorian splendour: Craig's Royal Hotel, the Mining Exchange and Her Majesty's Theatre are just some of the buildings you must visit. And in Eureka Street, the typical wooden miner's cottages have their own special charm. Wide tree lined avenues, spacious parks, the picturesque Lake Wendoure Botanical Gardens and world renowned Begonia Festival, are just some of the places and events the whole family will want to experience.
Do not forget to visit the gift shop outside the Sovereign Hill area. I have a profit on your purchases if you give... more travel advice
Colonial Bank of Australasia & Gold Office. HEY, VT outlaws, do you think the same as me? ;-) more travel advice
Ronald_T's Related Pages
Ballarat Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ballarat in the Central Victorian goldfields"
- "Reason for being"
- "Keeweechic's Ballarat"
- "Ballarat, or better: Sovereign Hill..."
- "A Former Gold Rush Town"
- "Ballarat - The Town that Gold Built"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ballarat
- Hotels in Ballarat
- Transportation in Ballarat
- Nightlife in Ballarat
- Restaurants in Ballarat
- Shopping in Ballarat
- Warnings and Dangers in Ballarat
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ballarat
- 52 Reviews
- 53 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Ballarat?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ballarat
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: Re: Places in the near area"
- updated a Ballarat Travel Page "Ballarat, or better: Sovereign Hill..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Ballarat, or better: Sovereign Hill..."
- Wrote a Review Sovereign Hill... in Ballarat Things to Do
- Commented on one of scrooge1947's Ballarat travel pages
Photos in BallaratSee All Photos (53)
Top 10 Pages
- Mexico City Intro, 47 reviews, 310 photos, 16 travelogues
- Canberra Intro, 34 reviews, 161 photos, 7 travelogues
- Melbourne Intro, 56 reviews, 138 photos, 5 travelogues
- Sydney Intro, 36 reviews, 155 photos, 9 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 38 reviews, 146 photos, 7 travelogues
- Guanajuato Intro, 20 reviews, 163 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Cruz Huatulco Intro, 89 reviews, 90 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Luis Potosí Intro, 21 reviews, 133 photos, 13 travelogues
- Brugge Intro, 36 reviews, 111 photos, 8 travelogues
- Turnhout Intro, 69 reviews, 77 photos, 1 travelogue