"Ballarat, or better: Sovereign Hill..." Top 5 Page for this destination Ballarat by Ronald_T

Ballarat Travel Guide: 209 reviews and 500 photos

The gold rush at Sovereign Hill...

It was only a one-day visit to Ballarat to see Sovereign Hill. However, I was so impressed by the town that the next time I will visit this place I stay here instead of the busy centre of Melbourne. Therefore, I will try to give you the information I have about Ballarat and most pictures are mine, but where it was not possible, I paste some from a brochure or postcards.

Ballarat has a fascinating and turbulent history, which has left the precious legacy of a city rich in heritage and culture. Gold was first discovered in Ballarat in 1851, with the second largest gold nugget ever found in Australia, the Welcome Nugget, discovered in 1858. Within a year, 20,000 miners had arrived from all over the world. In the early morning of December 3, 1854 another important piece of history centred on Ballarat. A brief yet bloody battle took place between protesting miners and Government soldiers. The Eureka Stockade Centre is believed to be on the site of this uprising. Today, you can loose yourself in the sense of history - from the streetscapes and architecture to Ballarat's award winning attraction, Sovereign Hill. The Ballarat Fine Art Gallery proudly displays the original Eureka flag and along with Montrose Historic Cottage, provides fascinating insights into life in the 1850s. Lydiard Street and Sturt Street are renowned for their Victorian splendour: Craig's Royal Hotel, the Mining Exchange and Her Majesty's Theatre are just some of the buildings you must visit. And in Eureka Street, the typical wooden miner's cottages have their own special charm. Wide tree lined avenues, spacious parks, the picturesque Lake Wendoure Botanical Gardens and world renowned Begonia Festival, are just some of the places and events the whole family will want to experience.

• Last visit to Ballarat: Jan 2001
  • Intro Updated May 29, 2003

• thegreynomad's Profile Photo
    Apr 21, 2010 at 11:54 AM

You have brought back many memories of this excellent village.

• Apr 9, 2009 at 2:06 AM

Does anybody know the email address for the Sovereign Hill Gift Shop, Bradshaw Street, Ballarat? It is the one on the site of the Gold Museum and Gold theme park! We have lost a beloved Emu. Many thanks

• JosM's Profile Photo
    Jan 29, 2006 at 2:59 AM

geweldige beschrijving en foto's! ps gelukkige verjaardag!

• Kate-Me's Profile Photo
    Aug 21, 2003 at 12:05 AM

Wow, that's an impressive job you've done on my city. Excellent work!

• Jul 31, 2003 at 11:30 PM

It seems that the photo is familiar to me when I first look at it and finally I remember that I took some photos including me sitting in front of that building. It is such a wonderful place.

• acemj's Profile Photo
    Jun 17, 2003 at 7:26 PM

Wow. Sovereign Hill sounds great, but at 47 degrees celsius, I'd trade to gold for some cold water!!

• scrooge1947's Profile Photo
    May 28, 2003 at 6:07 PM

Great page, you have put so much info in , I feel embarrased, one things for sure if you go as far as Melbourne , you should not miss Ballarat.

Ronald_T

“Make peace, no war...”

Badges & Stats in Ballarat

Have you been to Ballarat?