"Yemen - unspoilt jewel of Arabia" Top 5 Page for this destination Sanaa by dutchwindmill
Sanaa Travel Guide: 183 reviews and 976 photos
Yemen has a bit of a reputation safety-wise, but not really deservedly so. It is actually one of the safest places to visit in the world. The notorious kidnappings of tourists can be avoided by checking the saftey situation through your country's travel advice (check your Ministry of Foreign Affairs' home page).
Not only is it safe, it is also one of the marvels of the world: the cultural heritage, the scenery and the people. It is claimed about many places that going there is like stepping back in time. Usually that requires quite a bit of imagination. Not so in Yemen: in the old city of Sana'a you feel like stepping back into the Middle Ages, when in the countryside it's more like biblical times.
Sana'a is a UNESCO World Heritage site and deservedly so. A beauty during daytime, magical at nighttime.
It's two or more countries in one. First of all it's the union of former (North) Yemen and the People's Democratic Republic of Yemen (South) since 1990. Furthermore it's made up of very distinct parts, such as the humid Red Sea coastal area (Tihama), the central highlands (with many peaks over 3000 metres) and the deserts to the East (Hadramawt; Ar-Rub al-Khali: the Empty Quarter).
- Pros:an amazing place
- In a nutshell:put it high on your travel wish list!
The magic is strongest from dusk till midnight. more travel advice
Restaurant in "tent style". Nice diwan to have a drink or a shisha. Eating outside in the garden is also possible. Good... more travel advice
dutchwindmill's Related Pages
Sanaa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "AL-SALAAM ALAYKUM !"
- "Friendly weapons"
- "Yemen - unspoilt jewel of Arabia"
- "an ancient beauty"
- "Most Unique City on Earth . . Period"
- "night tales"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sanaa
- Hotels in Sanaa
- Transportation in Sanaa
- Nightlife in Sanaa
- Restaurants in Sanaa
- Shopping in Sanaa
- Warnings and Dangers in Sanaa
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sanaa
- 18 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Sanaa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sanaa
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sanaa Intro, 18 reviews, 18 photos
- Yemen Intro, 13 reviews, 16 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Shibam 5 reviews, 15 photos
- Aden Municipality Intro, 7 reviews, 9 photos
- `Amran Intro, 3 reviews, 10 photos
- Shaharah Intro, 5 reviews, 6 photos
- Oman Intro, 8 photos, 1 travelogue
- Manakhah Intro, 2 reviews, 6 photos
- Cairo 7 reviews
- Djibouti Intro, 6 reviews