"THE MAGIC OF SANTIAGO" Santiago de Compostela by MaheshSamtani
Santiago de Compostela Travel Guide: 670 reviews and 2,068 photos
Santiago de Compostela is a monumental city, a stony miracle that has been conforming throughout the centuries concerning the sepulcher of the Apostle Santiago and that has been proved as one of the most splendid architectural and harmonic sets of the world. Considered one of three spiritual capitals of the Christianity together with Rome and Jerusalem, right from the Middle Ages has been a destination of religious peregrinations, a phenomenon that would give origin to the reknown Camino de Santiago, real vertebral column of the art and the thought of that, as Goethe said, Europe's idea would be born.
From the XIIth century Santiago is A Metropolitan Headquarters and possesses the privilege of the Holy Year To rejoice, that is celebrated when the festivity of Santiago Apostle (July 25) coincides on a Sunday.
Santiago de Compostela is from 1980 the political and administrative capital of the Autonomous Community of Galicia, a historical community that has its own language, called Gallego in Spanish and a flourishing culture. It has a population of aprox. 97.000 inhabitants, to which it is necessary to add the important group of university students that takes the population to approximately 130.000 persons. At present, Compostela continues being a city with the vocation of a place of meeting.
Besides being an objective of peregrination, it is a tourist center of the highest magnitude, with an annual average of 3,5 million visitors that in The Holy Year increases up to seven million people.
For its incomparable cultural and architectural treasures, the city of Santiago de Compostela was declared as a Joint Historical - artistic and National Monument in 1940. In 1984 it was declared by the UNESCO heritage city and has been awarded numerous prizes and distinctions that recognize the work done in the field of the conservation and adding value to its rich patrimony.
Even if you are not a lover of monuments and history, the magic of Santiago will make every minute of your stay a great and memorable visit.
Tarta de Santiago is a local delicacy. It is a cake made of Almonds with a sugar powder topping. Simply delicious. This... more travel advice
This is not any glamourous locale. if your looking for something really authentic, go to this place and do not get taken... more travel advice
MaheshSamtani's Related Pages
Santiago de Compostela Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Walking the Camino Frances in May 2012"
- "Camino Frances" (Part Two)"
- "Santiago de Compostela"
- "Santiago de Compostela - Winter and Summer"
- "Santiago: A piece of magic"
- "Meine Ausruestung fuer meinen naechsten Camino"
- "Santiago de Compostela- 2004 JUBILEE year"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Santiago de Compostela
- Hotels in Santiago de Compostela
- Transportation in Santiago de Compostela
- Nightlife in Santiago de Compostela
- Restaurants in Santiago de Compostela
- Shopping in Santiago de Compostela
- Warnings and Dangers in Santiago de Compostela
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Santiago de Compostela
- 4 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Santiago de Compostela?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Santiago de Compostela
Photos in Santiago de CompostelaSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valencia Intro, 86 reviews, 209 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 26 reviews, 52 photos
- Madrid Intro, 17 reviews, 37 photos
- Lucerne Intro, 9 reviews, 23 photos
- Punta Cana Intro, 5 reviews, 24 photos
- State of Kerala Intro, 7 reviews, 18 photos
- Benidorm Intro, 8 reviews, 17 photos
- Las Palmas de Gran Canaria Intro, 6 reviews, 19 photos
- Mumbai Intro, 6 reviews, 16 photos
- Spain Intro, 5 reviews, 13 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (31)
Latest Santiago de Compostela hotel reviews
- Parador Los Reyes Catolicos
- 189 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 13, 2013
- Hotel Horreo
- 9 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 15, 2013
- Hotel Los Abetos
- 50 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 28, 2013
- Monte do Gozo
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2012
- AC Palacio Del Carmen Hotel Santiago de Compostela
- 47 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 11, 2013
- Hotel Costa Vella
- 210 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013
- Meiga Backpackers
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 24, 2012
- NH Obradoiro
- 38 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Puerta del Camino
- 12 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 26, 2012
- Gran Hotel Santiago
- 12 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 1, 2012
- Pazo Cibran
- 34 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 3, 2013
- Husa Ciudad De Compostela
- 16 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 11, 2013
- Hotel San Lorenzo
- 8 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 2, 2013
- Pension Santa Rita
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 16, 2011