"Romans, Byzantines, Crusaders..." Caesarea by iblatt
Caesarea Travel Guide: 90 reviews and 304 photos
Caesarea is one of Israel's most impressive archaeological sites. It is centrally located, on the seashore between Tel-Aviv and Haifa, and therefore easily accessible. Today, most of the ruins are included in the Caesarea Natioal Park, managed by Israel's Nature and Park Authority.
Caesarea bears testimony to some of the most interesting periods in Israel's remote history; it was built by King Herod, in the Roman period, as a magnificent typical Roman city, complete with port, palaces, theater, hippodrome and extensive, elegant public baths.
The other important period in Caesarea's history is the Crusader period, especially in the 13th century, and the walls, ramparts and fortifications are very well preserved.
Besides visiting the impressive and extensive archeological remains, there are other things to do in Caesarea: Restaurants and cafes overlooking the ancient harbor, art galleries and shops, a swimming beach, and even diving. In the summer there is the Jazz Festival in the ancient city, and throughout the year there are various concerts in the Roman theater.
A short distance from the National Park lies the modern villa suburb of Caesarea, with Israel's only golf course and a very good art museum.
There used to be no public bus service to the Caesarea Archaeological Park; The nearest town to Caesarea is Or-Akiva.... more travel advice
You can get an idea of the splendor and elegance of ancient Caesarea when you visit the baths. This public building was... more travel advice
iblatt's Related Pages
Caesarea Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Caesarea of Herod the Great"
- "Ancient City Of Caesarea"
- "we took a day off and went to caesarea"
- "Romans, Byzantines, Crusaders..."
- "Archaeological Gem By The Sea"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Caesarea
- Hotels in Caesarea
- Transportation in Caesarea
- Nightlife in Caesarea
- Restaurants in Caesarea
- Shopping in Caesarea
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Caesarea
- 6 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (74)
Have you been to Caesarea?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Caesarea
- updated a Caesarea Travel Page "Romans, Byzantines, Crusaders..."
- Posted in Travel Israel Forum "Re: What to visit on the way from..."
- Commented on one of iblatt's Caesarea travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Getting to Caesarea by Public Transportation"
- Wrote a Review Getting to Caesarea by Public Transportation in Caesarea Transportation
Photos in CaesareaSee All Photos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jerusalem Intro, 81 reviews, 309 photos
- Tel Aviv-Yafo Intro, 66 reviews, 249 photos
- Berlin Intro, 38 reviews, 121 photos
- Rome Intro, 26 reviews, 118 photos
- Athens Intro, 23 reviews, 102 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination `En Gedi Intro, 21 reviews, 88 photos
- Ra`ananna Intro, 18 reviews, 66 photos, 1 travelogue
- Oxford Intro, 15 reviews, 68 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Herzliya Intro, 16 reviews, 60 photos
- Haifa 18 reviews, 55 photos