"Bat Yam - "Daughter of the Sea"" Bat Yam by iblatt
Bat Yam Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 32 photos
Bat Yam lies on the Mediterranean coast, just south of Tel-Aviv and Jaffa.
It has beautiful sandy beaches dotted with beach cafes, restaurants and bars, and it boasts a long promenade lined with eateries of different kinds.
The waterfront is the best part of Bat Yam.
When you move inland from the beach you'll see apartment blocks, some of them old and rather dreary-looking, and a central commercial area. The population is diverse, and represents the waves of immigration from the 1950s (Eastern Europe, North Africa) till the 1990 (former USSR). In 2009 Bat Yam's population numbered 129,000.
The city was founded in 1932, played a part in the struggle for Israel's independence, and became the residence of the famous Jewish writer Sholem Asch in his later years.
The main cultural event is the annual Street Theater Festival (see my tip), which really transforms the city, in the best sense of this word.
Come here for the beaches, for the theater festival, or just for a drink on the promenade on a summer day!
Walking along Rothschild St. in Bat Yam I saw a modest bakery shop with the sign "Georgian Bread", in Hebrew, Russian... more travel advice
This is the central beach of Bat Yam, and the big rock which gave it its name can be seen from a distance. A wavebreaker... more travel advice
iblatt's Related Pages
Bat Yam Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Bat Yam
- 7 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
Have you been to Bat Yam?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bat Yam
Photos in Bat YamSee All Photos (24)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jerusalem Intro, 81 reviews, 309 photos
- Tel Aviv-Yafo Intro, 66 reviews, 249 photos
- Berlin Intro, 38 reviews, 121 photos
- Rome Intro, 26 reviews, 118 photos
- Athens Intro, 23 reviews, 102 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination `En Gedi Intro, 21 reviews, 88 photos
- Ra`ananna Intro, 18 reviews, 66 photos, 1 travelogue
- Oxford Intro, 15 reviews, 68 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Herzliya Intro, 16 reviews, 60 photos
- Haifa 18 reviews, 55 photos