"Visit to the Holey Land" Luzit by iblatt

Luzit Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 11 photos

No, this is no spelling mistake. The area around Luzit is known for many holes, many of them cave openings, and that's how Luzit got its nickname.
No doubt Luzit is located "off the beaten track". It is a village built in a remote area, between the coastal plain and the Judean foothills. However, no place in Israel is truly remote, it's only 15 minutes back to "civilization".

Luzit's attraction is its limestone caves. They are beautiful, impressive and mysterious, and are worth the detour (see my "Things to Do" tip).

Luzit brings back old memories: When I was an 11th grade student my class was sent for two weeks to Bet Nir, a small kibbutz about 5 km west of Luzit. We picked apples and nectarines in the mornings, and in the afternoon we either lazed around the village or went on trips in the vicinity.
I remember the day when we all hopped on a wooden platform attached behind a tractor, and a kibbutz member took us to the Luzit caves. The road was extra bumpy and we struggled to stay on the platform during the rugged ride. Then the tractor stopped in the middle of a rocky hillside. We jumped off and were then introduced to the hidden magic of the caves.

I have recently visited the caves again, only to discover (to my relief) that nothing has changed and the caves have preserved their pristine beauty.

• Last visit to Luzit: Jun 2012
  • Intro Updated Jun 20, 2012

• katalin's Profile Photo
    Jan 1, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Great photos, beautiful place!

• iblatt's Profile Photo
      Jan 1, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Thank you! How did you find my Luzit page, out of all the places in the world?..

• mindcrime's Profile Photo
    Jun 23, 2012 at 2:02 PM

strange that there is free entrance, even stranger that that they havent been vandalised!

iblatt

“There is no such thing as an uninteresting destination”

Badges & Stats in Luzit