"The most special city in the world" Top 5 Page for this destination Jerusalem by iblatt

Jerusalem Travel Guide: 1,925 reviews and 5,581 photos

Oh, Jerusalem...

What can I say about Jerusalem that has not been said before?

I think it is the most interesting and wonderful city in the world.
Well, of course I can't be objective. This city means so much to me.
It's the capital city of my country, but much much more than that. Its name and image have resonated in the hearts and minds of Jews since the days of the Bible, wherever they lived, in the Land of Israel or in the diaspora all over the world.

My earliest memories are of Jerusalem: I spent all my early childhood in Jerusalem, till 3rd grade.
The city was different in those days: It was prior to the Six-Day War, the city was divided with a border of barbed wire running through it, a border which could not be crossed by anybody except for UN personnel. Fortunately, this is no longer the situation now.

I remember my excitement when I first entered the Old City gates, walked all around it on the Ottoman city walls, visited the holy places of different religions, got a panoramic view of it from the Mount of Olives...

Nowadays my daughter is living and studying there, and I enjoy seeing how she connects to the special Jerusalem atmosphere and rhythm of life, how she is becoming part of it...

A universal city

I realize Jerusalem means so much not only to me, and not only to the Jewish people. No other city in the world has such a universal appeal.

Its unique spirituality is a blend of memories, stories, legends and beliefs ingrained in the minds of every Jew, Christian and Moslem.
Every inch of it is connected to one of these stories and memories, and often to more than one (and this is when the troubles begin...).
Temple Mount, where the Jewish Temple once stood, with the Holy of Holies in its core, is now the site of the Al Aqsa Mosque, one of the holiest places to Islam.
Via Dolorosa, so significant to all Christians, runs through the Moslem Quarter right on the border of Temple Mount...
When will Jerusalem also be a symbol of peace and harmony for the whole world?..

• Last visit to Jerusalem: Apr 2011
  • Intro Updated Apr 25, 2011

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Sep 3, 2012 at 10:05 AM

I agree with you--it IS the most special place in the world

• iblatt's Profile Photo
      Sep 6, 2012 at 8:12 AM

Thanks for visiting Jerusalem with me! I am now in Chengdu, China, for 2 weeks; will start writing about it when I return...
      Best regards, Ilan

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
    Feb 12, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Very good informative pages here, will be back :)

• ViajesdelMundo's Profile Photo
    Nov 12, 2011 at 3:48 PM

the sifting project at the Temple Mount is most interesting!! enjoyed lots of your tips; of course, this time being on a tour, I won't have the luxury of getting around much on my own, so nice to be able to fill in with local Tips!

• paolodecastro's Profile Photo
    Nov 8, 2011 at 4:39 PM

Shalom Iblat.....congatulations for being the tip of the day.....your jerusalem page......is very informative.....As a Filipino (if you will have some time to read my HP) I put there that Jerusalem is my Dream Destination....which is not different among the millions of Filipinos wanting to visit the holy place...:).....thanks for sharing.......
    - paolo from the sunny Philippines

• Andrew_W_K's Profile Photo
    May 30, 2011 at 6:56 AM

I was very impressed with the Golden Menorah as well.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    May 29, 2011 at 10:26 AM

Shalom, Ilan! ~ You are a great guide! Thanks for your detailed story! ><><><

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Aug 13, 2010 at 2:29 AM

Thank you Ilat for your birthday greetings and bringing back sweet memories about this holy city! I well remember all its sites which I was lucky to see last year... All the best wishes from Moscow suffering from heat and smoke this summer.

• tzuki's Profile Photo
    Jul 19, 2010 at 3:29 PM

Dear Ilat, nice tips for Jerusalem´s page. I was there in 2007 and also eating an extraordinary apple strudel cake in the roof of the Hospice. Great views!!

• gilabrand's Profile Photo
    May 31, 2010 at 2:02 AM

Wonderful new tips! When I was at Mar Elias, the monk was sitting next to the door. He was not very friendly, just kind of grunted when I asked him something...LOL

• Donna_in_India's Profile Photo
    Aug 1, 2009 at 4:26 AM

Thanks for the recommendation for Ichekdana. Will keep it in my "future travel folder". :-)

iblatt Used To Live Here!

iblatt

“There is no such thing as an uninteresting destination”

Badges & Stats in Jerusalem

Have you been to Jerusalem?

Latest Activity in Jerusalem