"BIRZEBBUGA" Birzebbuga by micajo
Birzebbuga Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 29 photos
The seaside town of Birzebbuga is situated at the southeast of the island of Malta and lies between Kalafrana to the south and the fishing village of Marsaxlokk to the northeast, and although Birzebbuga is on the coast, it is the meeting point of four beautiful valleys, which are Wied Dalam, Wied Zembaq, Wied Qoton and Wied Buni.
Many stories revolve around the name of Birzebbuga. For example, legend has it that olives were stored in wells filled with sea water; another story is that olive trees were planted in and around what was then a small village; another is that when the word ‘Birzebbuga’ is divided into ‘Bir’and ‘zebbuga’, ‘Bir’ means a well, while ‘Zebbuga’ means an olive, thus when the two are joined together the word ‘Birzebbuga’ will emerge, and finally there was the question of whether the name should be pronounced Bur Zebbuga or Birzebbuga because Bur Zebbuga means land of olives. Up until the end of 1800’s wells, which would have been used for olives, could be seen at the bottom of the sea where it is shallow. Today wells are still in existence and can be seen on the rocks at St. George’s Bay.
micajo's Related Pages
Birzebbuga Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "BIRZEBBUGA TIGER"
- "A calm place, Birzebbuga..."
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Birzebbuga
- 1 Reviews
- 0 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Birzebbuga?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Birzebbuga
Top 10 Pages
- Tunisia 8 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Florence Intro, 12 reviews, 22 photos, 2 travelogues
- Malta Intro, 11 reviews, 18 photos
- Pisa Intro, 12 reviews, 15 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cannes Intro, 5 reviews, 14 photos, 2 travelogues
- Siena Intro, 6 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Antibes Intro, 5 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Nice Intro, 3 reviews, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cambridge Intro, 10 reviews
- Lucca Intro, 3 reviews, 7 photos, 1 travelogue