"My Constant Quest" vargome's Profile

New Horizons

Once again, it is time for a change. It appears that every time things become really comfortable within my life, I am thrown into the abyss of transition, where I begin the process of establishing a new path.

The next chapter

This time, my restlessness has led me to an area outside of Rio de Janeiro in the Tinuga Rainforest. Since my trip in August, I have been working towards getting back to Brazil at an orphanage called Casa do caminho: www.casadocaminhobrasil.org. This time around my work will be focused on doing consulting work with volunteers, and establishing an HIV curriculum for use with the children and adolescents at the orphanage.

My Journey

"We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time." -T.S. Elliot

Memoirs of Oregon

I am going to miss Oregon, but the memories I have made will forever remain within my heart.

So here it is, one of my favorite places to regain my passion, and succumb to the healing energy of the ocean. When I am not working, I often retreat to the beach or the mountains for a short escape from the demands of every day life.

Oregon has many beautiful, untouched landscapes ranging from dry desert mountains to lush green old growth forests. I feel very lucky to live in a location that offers such a vast amount of terrain.

In addition to getting away for short escapes in the Pacific Northwest, I first fell in love with traveling and a quest for adventure at an early age. Since then I have seen many beautiful places and met many people who have influenced who I am today.

Mt. Hood

Mt. Hood is a large volcanic mountain that is home to a couple of resorts. Although I am very close to backcountry access around Mt. Hood, I am very selective about snow conditions and terrain. Most of the time, I travel a little further to the high desert of Mt. Bachelor and Deschuttes County to get out of the city.

Seascapes

From the mountains to the ocean...Portland offers the best of both worlds. When the waves are not breaking, the Oregon coast offers many peaceful beaches, and untouched tidepools demonsting contrasting colors of sea life. Additionally, at night the beach offers solitude and star strewn skies with vibrant displays of light.

Life...

"Bravely let go of your hold
On the edge of the precipice
And die to the small self.
Then that which is naturally revealed
Is the True-nature which
There is neither life nor death." -Philip Kapleau

Mis Companeros

My spirited friends have stood by my side throughout many journeys in my life. Their unconditional affection, and need for new adventures keeps me on a constant quest.

• Intro Updated Apr 13, 2007

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo
    Aug 16, 2012 at 8:55 AM

Happy Birthday Melissa, greetings from Maryland

• Aug 16, 2010 at 7:49 AM

have a great birthday. Greetings from India.

• suvanki's Profile Photo
    Aug 16, 2008 at 3:44 PM

Happy Birthday Greetings From Sheffield! Best Wishes, Sue X

• Herkbert's Profile Photo
    Aug 15, 2008 at 5:38 PM

Happy birthday, Melissa! Hope your day is a great one. happy travels!

• kzapanta's Profile Photo
    Nov 22, 2007 at 4:13 AM

Hiya Melissa, saw your question on Peru and surfing. Don't got the answer but saying hi and great to see your going there soon! Wheres the dogs going to be?

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo
    Aug 16, 2007 at 6:16 PM

just noticed that you are from west falls church. i cycled through there last september. nice little town :O)

• ghibli88's Profile Photo
    May 13, 2007 at 5:14 PM

Hi Melissa,greetings from Italy.

• Kaspian's Profile Photo
    Apr 10, 2007 at 11:43 AM

Hey M! How you doin'? Mail's not working today. Err... Guess you noticed that. Just wanted to say a quick "Hello!"

• Mar 24, 2007 at 7:07 PM

I would like some info on Floripa. Did you work there when you lived there? Sean iamthecountry@yahoo.com

• ludogatto's Profile Photo
    Mar 21, 2007 at 2:12 AM

Go ahead with your wonderfull work in BRASIL...I hope to take Nina to Brasil as soon as possible...I think our children have to know the other face of the childood in the south to much apreciate their life

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
vargome's Profile Photo

vargome

“Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail -Ralph Waldo Emerson”

Real Name