"PORTUGAL, a country with a friendly face." Portugal by dutch_anna
Portugal Travel Guide: 20,671 reviews and 60,018 photos
Look at the map of Portugal. You see a face watching westward at the sea. It is not a laughing face, but rather melancholic. Maybe it is waiting for all the seamen, explorers and fishermen, who sailed away. For me,however, who was a guest in their country, this land has a friendly face. The people are so kind and nice. When you lost the way on one of the roads in the countryside, or, worse, in the middle of a town with a caravan behind your car, there is always a man or woman who shows you the right direction, saying "follow me" or something like that, you cannot understand it, and drives in his own car ahead of you for miles and miles till he thinks that you can find your own way again. Once a man stopped the other traffic to give us the opportunity to turn (with that caravan) and everybody waved when we managed on that small square.
The language, with a sort of nasal sound, is difficult to understand, but sounds marvellous in their songs, like the Fado. And with some Italian and French and the help of my hands I had some nice conversations.
I have not been in big cities, only travelled in the Algarve in the south and in the eastern part of the country. A beautiful and varied landscape with small, very old towns like Beja, Evora and Tomar.
Before we leave this Intro I have to say something about the Portuguese, that I didn't like at all. Sorry. And that is their behaviour on the roads, when they are not showing you the way but THEY WANT TO PASS YOU, always, everywhere and many times.
But back to my holidaypictures, in the travelogues."Follow me!"
Website of Portugal's Weekend Newspaper in English.
Fatima is a Roman-Catholic place of pilgrimage. When the Pope was there this square was crowded with pilgrims. At the... more travel advice
dutch_anna's Related Pages
Portugal Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Portugal in my heart"
- "Portugal my lovely country"
- "Wonderful Portugal"
- "Portugal by Car"
- "Portugal - Country of Batles"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Portugal
- Hotels in Portugal
- Transportation in Portugal
- Nightlife in Portugal
- Restaurants in Portugal
- Shopping in Portugal
- Warnings and Dangers in Portugal
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Portugal
- 9 Reviews
- 36 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Portugal?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Portugal
Top 10 Pages
- California Intro, 13 reviews, 66 photos, 10 travelogues
- Zambia Intro, 17 reviews, 62 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cape Town Intro, 12 reviews, 65 photos, 6 travelogues
- Utah Intro, 8 reviews, 62 photos, 8 travelogues
- France Intro, 8 reviews, 47 photos, 3 travelogues
- Colorado Intro, 7 reviews, 47 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of KwaZulu-Natal Intro, 10 reviews, 44 photos, 5 travelogues
- South Africa Intro, 6 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- Portugal Intro, 9 reviews, 36 photos, 4 travelogues
- Death Valley National Park Intro, 12 reviews, 30 photos, 2 travelogues