"PORTUGAL, a country with a friendly face." Portugal by dutch_anna

Portugal Travel Guide: 19,944 reviews and 57,077 photos

Look at the map of Portugal. You see a face watching westward at the sea. It is not a laughing face, but rather melancholic. Maybe it is waiting for all the seamen, explorers and fishermen, who sailed away. For me,however, who was a guest in their country, this land has a friendly face. The people are so kind and nice. When you lost the way on one of the roads in the countryside, or, worse, in the middle of a town with a caravan behind your car, there is always a man or woman who shows you the right direction, saying "follow me" or something like that, you cannot understand it, and drives in his own car ahead of you for miles and miles till he thinks that you can find your own way again. Once a man stopped the other traffic to give us the opportunity to turn (with that caravan) and everybody waved when we managed on that small square.
The language, with a sort of nasal sound, is difficult to understand, but sounds marvellous in their songs, like the Fado. And with some Italian and French and the help of my hands I had some nice conversations.
I have not been in big cities, only travelled in the Algarve in the south and in the eastern part of the country. A beautiful and varied landscape with small, very old towns like Beja, Evora and Tomar.
Before we leave this Intro I have to say something about the Portuguese, that I didn't like at all. Sorry. And that is their behaviour on the roads, when they are not showing you the way but THEY WANT TO PASS YOU, always, everywhere and many times.

But back to my holidaypictures, in the travelogues."Follow me!"

Website of Portugal's Weekend Newspaper in English.

• Last visit to Portugal: Apr 1995
  • Intro Updated Jul 29, 2003

dutch_anna

“against prejudices and intolerance”

Badges & Stats in Portugal

Have you been to Portugal?

Latest Activity in Portugal