"Lissewege" Lissewege by PPRubens

Lissewege Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 64 photos

The town I cannot pronounce

February 21, 2005 and I brought no camera. I had rented a bike in Brugge and decided to ride to Lissewege. I had seen at the tourist office that there are occasional bus tours that take you there, so I figured that there must be something to see.

The ride out to Lissewege took me past the most enormous windmills I had ever seen. At one point during the ride, I had to stop someone to ensure that I was headed in the right direction. I soon realized that my pronunciation Less-eee-wayg, was indecipherable to the poor man. Still to this day, I don't think I can pronounce it correctly. But eventually he understood and my direction was verified. I made to Lissewege with a sore behind from the uncomfortable bike seat and a strong urge of mother nature. It was getting late as I strolled down the cobbled street looking in each whitewashed facade for an establishment that was open. The only one was a pub near the church.

I would presume that the men who were enjoying a brew in the pub where not sailor ghosts from the 19th century. They definitely were not used to a tourist walking into their pub. I asked for the men's room, got the ok signal from the bartender, and made my embarrassing way to the back. I heard a rustle of voices as I opened the door to the men's room area. The only word I could make out was "Amerikaanse" followed by hearty sailor-like laughs.

Unfortunately I have no photos to post at this time. I will make it back. Due to the time, I did not get a chance to really explore the village or the church grounds but it was definitely worth a visit.

• Last visit to Lissewege: Feb 2005
  • Intro Written Dec 23, 2006

Comments

Ranked Member

Badges & Stats in Lissewege

Have you been to Lissewege?

Latest Activity in Lissewege