"NEW JERSEY" Top 5 Page for this destination New Jersey by Cielo_Algaeed

New Jersey Travel Guide: 3,918 reviews and 7,679 photos

I LOVE NEW JERSEY!!!!

New Jersey has been home for my parents years back. And so, the purpose of our recent trip to NJ was to visit them. A dream come true not only for me but for my parents, my hubby and the boys as well.
From JFK airport we drove all the way to Raritan, New Jersey using our Google earth map print out. It took us 1 1/2 hrs to reach my parents house because of the traffic in NY.
As soon as i arrived in New Jersey..i fell inlove with it! No exxageration but the serene sorroundings and peaceful environment are really great.
We spent our first week here before we went to Orlando for 3 weeks. While we were in Orlando, (i think hubby enjoyed NJ so much and he can also see it in me and the boys) he decide to extend our vacation for 2 more weeks! YIPEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
During those days, we were able to visit some tourist spots in the neighbouring towns and cities in Suxxex, Somerville, Somerset, Jersey City etc.
It was wonderful stay! and given the chance to do it all over again...with no hesitation i would do it again!

Survey History

Some would have ask me why i put my Ellis Island and Statue of Liberty in my things to do tip in New Jersey. I would say, although many of the travellers put these two prime destinations in their New York City things to do tip (which i think is also correct) I decided to put this in my NJ page simply because some areas of it are located in New Jersey and not just in New York.
And just for the record, Ellis Island main building is located in NY waters while the rest of it lies in New Jersey State.
Same thing with Statue of Liberty, which is located in New Jersey waters while it is overlooking the New York Harbour.

Here are some excerpts from Washington post and from Liberty State Monument website.

"Ellis Island is federal property partly within the territorial jurisdiction of the both the States of New York and New Jersey. "

"Update: The Washington Post, May 27, 1998:

The Supreme Court ruled 6 to 3 yesterday that Ellis Island, the historical gateway to America and the most visible symbol of the nation’s ethnic heritage, belongs mostly to New Jersey, not New York.

The decision challenged many long-standing assumptions, including those of some justices, who said they initially thought their forebears landed on "Ellis Island, N.Y."

But after a more careful review of the historic record, the court ruled that most of the 27-acre island falls within New Jersey’s borders, using as the basis for its decision an agreement between the two states signed in 1834.

Because the federal government controls the island and today operates it as a national park, as a practical matter not much will change because of the high court’s decision. What the ruling does is give New Jersey potential tax revenue, a greater voice in future development of the island and - perhaps most important for the two grudge partners - a definitive answer on who can claim the bragging rights to one of America’s most celebrated landmarks. Close to 2 million tourists visit Ellis Island every year and more than 100 million people can claim that a relative passed through there when the island served as an entry port for immigrants earlier this century.

"Every mapmaker in the world has some work to do," New Jersey Attorney General Peter Verniero said yesterday, adding that the island "is a national treasure that now New Jersey can rightly lay some claim to."

But New York Attorney General Dennis C. Vacco countered that "Ellis Island will always mean more than boundaries drawn by men or courts. Her past clearly belongs to New York. Her future belongs to all Americans."

Relying mostly on the 1834 compact, special master Paul R. Verkuil said the filled lands did indeed belong to New Jersey. In his recommendations to the court, Verkuil urged the justices to depart only slightly from the 1834 agreement for practical reasons, so that some now-existing buildings would not be split between the states.

The justices followed most of his recommendations but said they had no authority to change the boundary, even if it was practical to do so.

"[T]he lands surrounding the original island remained the sovereign property of New Jersey when the United States added landfill to them," Justice David H. Souter wrote for the court. He added that a more convenient boundary line is a matter for an arrangement between the states themselves, with the consent of the federal government.

Souter rejected New York’s position that even if the landfilled areas were once New Jersey’s, New York had long ago usurped control of the island in Upper New York Bay, 1,300 feet from Jersey City, N.J., and one mile from the tip of Manhattan in New York City."

• Pros:EVRYTHING ABOUT IT
  • Cons:HAVENT THINK OF ANYTHING YET
  • Last visit to New Jersey: Jul 2007
  • Intro Updated Oct 2, 2007

• high_d's Profile Photo
    Jan 1, 2009 at 10:34 AM

Baby girl's growing so fast & pretty as always. Oo nga enjoy the snow even though super lamig lately.Christmas & NYear's great, lots of yummy things to eat, I gotta cut back or I'll have to start buying new clothes to fit me;)

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Aug 28, 2007 at 3:10 AM

Excellent tips of New Jersey. Atlantic City boardwalk sounds like fun. Cheers, SL

Cielo_Algaeed

“We're Back from UK”

Badges & Stats in New Jersey

Have you been to New Jersey?

Latest Activity in New Jersey