Trier Things to Do Tips by alectrevor
Trier Things to Do: 373 reviews and 712 photos
Trier roman bath ruins.
From the 4th century. Roman bathing place.--Not far from the cathedral Trier Germany. Bathing in Baths was an important part of Roman life style, 1600 years ago
Electoral Palace with Basilica behind.
Lovely building in park between the roman baths and the basilica.The Electoral Palace is a beatiful rococo building,from 1615 when Elector Lothar von Metternich had the north and east wings built. The south wing can be seen from the Palace gardens [ see photo ]
Just off Hauptmarkt is the Dom,[ cathedral ], a huge castle like building built on the site of Constatine the greats mother Helena. Mostly Romanesque and Gothic building.The Electoral Palace is next door.
Lovely architecture. A lot of half timbered houses, , this method of building has been around for hundreds of years.-A lot of buildings are bedecked in floral displays. really lovely..The Euro is the currency in Germany.
Rudesheim promanade on the river Rhine.
From Trier by train to Rudesheim am Rhein takes 3 hours , with one change at Koblenz,if this sounds a long time bear in mind that there is lovely scenery along the Mossel and Rhine rivers, using the Rheinland ticket at 23 euro one person or a few euro more for up to 5 people on one ticket it is a bargain. You can break your journey and get on and off has you like on the regional trains. Rudesheim is on the right bank of the river rhine opposite from Binghem,is famous for reislings wine,vineyards everywhere. There is a cable car up to Niederwald Denkmal monument has you glide over the wine slopes, return fare was about 6 euro 50.  Try to go up early has it gets busy at peak times
Tourist toy train
From Trier the train ride is about one hour to Cochem Mosel,leave the station by the right,or go to river bank and turn right. Cochem is a pretty place and gets crowded with tourists. There is a tourist toy train which takes you around Cochem and across the bridge to the over side of the river Mosel.,interesting ride and views. There is a chairlift well worth it for the view. The fare on the chairlift was 4 euro 80. In town there are loads of shops , bars, and cafes.
Waterfall in the middle of town
From Trier i used a Rhineland ticket 23 euro allday use in the area on reginal trains, saved me quite a bit because i went from Trier to Sarrburg then on to Saarbrucken then back to Trier. Sarrburg is a really lovely place to visit with in the middle of town a waterfall on the river [stream].
At the front door of the Dom is  a red office with a robot writer inside. It was writing a long script on a long paper roll.
Built in 310 AD by the romans as Constantines throne hall, built in brick is 67m long and 36m high amazing !
More Reviews (5)
alectrevor's Related Pages
Trier Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My Tribute to Trier"
- "Trier: Where the Romans left their traces"
- "Older than Rome !"
- "worth a visit"
- "The oldest city of Germany!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Trier
- Hotels in Trier
- Transportation in Trier
- Nightlife in Trier
- Restaurants in Trier
- Shopping in Trier
- Warnings and Dangers in Trier
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Trier
- 14 Reviews
- 33 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (25)
Have you been to Trier?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Trier
Photos in TrierSee All Photos (33)
Top 10 Pages
- York Intro, 36 reviews, 183 photos, 9 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 27 reviews, 65 photos
- Bilbao Intro, 23 reviews, 55 photos
- Zermatt Intro, 18 reviews, 59 photos
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 23 reviews, 48 photos
- Oostende Intro, 23 reviews, 48 photos
- Jersey Intro, 20 reviews, 48 photos
- Bratislava Intro, 20 reviews, 46 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sarajevo Intro, 23 reviews, 42 photos
- Krakow Intro, 16 reviews, 45 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (1)
- Porta Nigra- 43 Reviews, 67 Photos
- St Peter's Cathedral- 28 Reviews, 67 Photos
- Hauptmarkt - Main Market- 17 Reviews, 41 Photos
- Amphitheater- 20 Reviews, 31 Photos
- Kaiserthermen - Imperial Baths- 18 Reviews, 34 Photos
- Constantine Basilica- 13 Reviews, 20 Photos
- Electoral Palace - Kurfürstliches Palais- 12 Reviews, 26 Photos
- Karl Marx Haus- 12 Reviews, 12 Photos
- Church of St. Gangolf- 9 Reviews, 21 Photos
- Roemerbruecke - Roman Bridge- 11 Reviews, 15 Photos
See All Trier Things to Do