"Different Places under the same sun" RaeganB's Profile

The voice inside my head - The Past

It all began 18 months ago when I woke up one day with the feeling that I was living someone else's life. Don't get me wrong, it was a good life: I owned my house, I was financially solvent, I had a good relationship with my family, great friends, hobbies but...there seemed to be this voice in my head saying "How did we get here...this was never the plan??" It was then that I realized that it had been more than 10 years since I had travelled seriously. My dreams to travel were becoming just that...dreams. So, I hemmed and I hawed...I talked my family's ear off, I asked friends, everyone I knew what I should do... Everything was so comfortable as it was then...but I just wasn't as happy as I felt I could be...so one day I woke up and began making plans. I arranged to sell my business (an adventure in itself), rented my home and bought a plane ticket with the goal to travel around Europe for one year....

A bit posh if I do say so myself. The past

Financial solvency and comfort had made me a bit soft so when I started my trip I decided to stay only in hotels and hostels (private rooms of course :) ). This decision wasn't because I had become accustomed to the creature comforts in life (though I probably had) but because, and this is hard to believe now) of a natural shyness around new people. I kept to this pattern for the first 4 months of my journey. Staying only in hotels and hostels. I met many great people in hostels along the way and shared many an adventure, but I didn't feel that I was getting the authentic travelling experience..and travelling on my own had begun to become a bit lonely, if still intellectually and emotionally fulfilling. This is when I discovered couchsurfing and a whole new world opened up for me....

A mattress on the floor you say - the past

Couchsurfing is the travel organization that changed my life. After 4 months of hostelling, I really wanted to have authentic experiences. Meeting people in hostels had cured me of my shyness and now I wanted to know everyone's stories. But I felt that I was only meeting fellow travellers. Couchsurfing introduced me to the locals. I started my couchsurfing experiences in Edinburgh, staying with a French Canadian named Benoit. I had an amazing time with him and he took the time to share his Scottish life with me. Since then I have always tried to couchsurf whenever I was travelling. Including learning to play the guitar while sleeping on a mattress in the middle of the livingroom. An experience I would never have had otherwise.

All good things come to an end or so I thought

I couchsurfed around Europe for the next 6 months until my return ticket was coming due. What should I do I asked myself? I've sold my business, my house is rented and I don't want to go back to school or work doing what I was doing. Not to mention, I was a traveller now. There was no going back. My feet wanted to walk the earth and they weren't going to go back under a desk for any reason. But I didn't know what to do. As I was thinking about this problem, the answer came to me in an email. In April I had surfed with a CS named Gerard. Several months later, as I am analysing what direction my life should take, Gerard sends me an email, telling me that his extra room in Mataro, Barcelona, Spain is free if I want to extend my trip...and that is how I ended up where I am today...

So I live on a mountain you say....The Present

I stayed with Gerard and his girlfriend, Angela, for a few weeks until I found job in a small village called Moia. It is about an hour north of Barcelona and has a population of 5000. I'm teaching English and loving it. Each day I am surrounded by Catalan culture and language. I'm learning to speak Catalan and soon will begin to learn Spanish. I've made incredible friends and even somehow met a really special person to share my future travels with.

I try to see new places every weekend when possible or at least meet new people who can share their experiences with me. I'm loving life in Spain and everyday I think to myself that "this is definitely my life" and I am grateful for it.

Special Addition: Porto Fabulous

During my travels, I spent 6 amazing weeks in Porto, Portugal. It is a beautiful city, with beaches, fun places to visit and one of the best friends I have ever had!! (here's to you Portogirl)

• Intro Updated Jan 10, 2007

• DSwede's Profile Photo
    Apr 4, 2010 at 2:31 AM

Wow, you're here! I hope that the corporate hamster wheel isnt that bad... I'm just searching some info on my next stop. I owe you an email :)

• a2lopes's Profile Photo
    Jan 28, 2009 at 3:55 AM

Happy Birthday Raegan, and many happy returns of the day. Greetings from Lisbon which is waiting for your visit next May for the Euromeeting. It will be fun with people from all over and you can revisit Porto :-)

• Apr 1, 2008 at 10:01 AM

your cute...

• GracesTrips's Profile Photo
    Jan 28, 2008 at 12:23 PM

Happy Birthday, Raegan! Hope you have a great day!

• Etoile2B's Profile Photo
    Jan 28, 2008 at 10:08 AM

Happy Birthday from sunny California!

• Greggor58's Profile Photo
    Jan 2, 2008 at 5:09 PM

Hi Raegan...LOVED your story! Thanks you made my day! : o ]

• GenuinelyCurious's Profile Photo
    Oct 8, 2007 at 7:45 PM

Thanks for the Spain shots

• MidasSK's Profile Photo
    Jun 18, 2007 at 6:07 PM

Hi Raegan, and greetings from your neighbors to the south! Have a wonderful week! Midas

• JohnniOmani's Profile Photo
    Apr 10, 2007 at 11:54 AM

Hey Raegan, your life sounds like a mirror image of myself and we are both from Canada lol :) Your opening page is down to earth and you sound so chilled out and cool. I look forward to reading more and I will check back in soon :) John

• borneo60's Profile Photo
    Mar 9, 2007 at 1:00 PM

Greetings from BC. Hope you had a great time here. Cheers and safe travels.

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
RaeganB's Profile Photo

RaeganB

“The best journeys begin when your foot leaves the familiar shore”

Ranked Member