"With thanks to all!" Top 5 Page for this destination Kazanluk by unaS

Kazanluk Travel Guide: 76 reviews and 221 photos

Arrival

With many, many thanks to Nikolay Ivanov, Childish, Ger4444, and most especially teodorra I had a wonderful visit in Kazanluk.

Almost didn't get there - fell asleep on the bus from Plovdiv and the driver forgot me! Lucky a nice lady woke me up and told me we were in Kazanluk!

Short, short taxi ride (2 lev - 1 Euro) to the hotel. Could have walked it if I had known. At least the driver couldn't tell me that the hotel was far away - I showed him the map in my trusty RG!

The Hotel Palas is pure luxury. The prices posted in the room were not the price quoted to me by fax/internet. I wondered which price they were going to charge me until I saw the scaffolding outside my window :)

Tried to call Teodora as we had arranged and got the same message as in Sofia: "There is no subscriber listed at the number you have dialed". Not again ?!?

This time not being alone in a flat I went down to the reception and asked for help. The receptionist changed a 9 to an 8 and dialed it herself...no answer. Went into the dining room for a cup of coffee and to think...5 minutes later in walks Teodora!!

What a lovely surprise. A very attractive, friendly and considerate young woman she went out of her way to contact me!!! We made plans for the next 2 days, then she went back to work and I headed for the shower.

Walkable Kazanluk

Teodora came round at 10.00. We walked up to the only real Thracian Tomb in town (lots of steps!!). It is always closed. To protect it there is a building built over it.

Then we walked a few meters away to the replica. They did a great job! Even the water damage to some of the frescoes has been faithfully copied. A very interesting site. The entry is shaped like no other I have ever seen. While the tomb itself is quite small the frescoes around the lower part of the dome and the ceiling are worth some time.

Then we walked down to the Kulata Ethnographic Museum. The guide is a very cordial person indeed. Somehow she identified me as an Israeli on first sight! Even Teodora was surprised. The guide used a few words in Hebrew too :)

In addition to showing the rooms she offers rose jam and rose wine to visitors - for an extra fee.

After a short break for coffee and a smoke, Teodora dropped me off in front of the Iskra Historic and Art Museum.
I spent a happy couple of hours puttering around the history section. Good signs in English! Didn't go on to the Art Gallery on the upper floors.

Hint, hint, hint DON"T use their toilets unless you're utterly desperate!

Walked back to the hotel, had a good salad lunch and a short rest. In the afternoon spent a few of hours wandering the streets surrounding the centre, ploshta sevtopolis. Nice little park there and nicely planted. Some great graffiti on a temporary wall. (Don't know what's behind it.)

Began to write up my notes and wouldn't you know it - lost another pen! Searching for a place to buy one and some envelopes, I found a modern shopping mall with a great supermarket and a small stationary shop.

Back to the hotel for coffee and note writing.

Next day

Teodora came with her friend and his car to pick me up at the hotel. We went to the Shipka Memorial Church built by the Bulgarians with the Russian people's help as thanks to the Russians for their help in the fight for Independence from the Ottoman Empire.

A large and very beautiful building. Many impressive frescoes and icons. Beautiful blue and gold (glazing?). Explanations and a memorial plaque with a list of the names of the fallen in the war. Nice gardens overlooking a beautiful vista of agricultural land surrounded by hills and snow covered mountains.

Then on to the Tomb (tumulous) of King Seuthes the Third, whose burial goods I saw yesterday at the Iskra Historical Museum. Small but very interesting. The only one not looted in antiquity - or in modern day. A gold wreath was found near a stone bed. The body was cremated. One entrance room with a domed roof (quite an echo there!) where his favorite horse was sacrificed to accompany him to the afterworld. The Thracians believed in life after death.

Then on to the Home-Museum of Choudomir, the Bulgarian caricaturist and author.

Teodora has a very responsible position at the Cultural Centre in Kazanluk. She allowed me to visit her at her office. I was very much impressed to see the wonderful work that they are doing.

Unfortunately we weren't able to get up to Shipka Pass or to see the
monument to the Russian soldier. Teodora suggested asking about buses to Veliko Turnovo via the pass. Did so and yes - there are 3 that go that way tomorrow morning. So that is how I will finally get to see the site of that heroic battle.

• Pros:A lovely small city to visit.
  • Cons:Lack of public transport to the best sites.
  • In a nutshell:The best of all was meeting Teodora.
  • Last visit to Kazanluk: Apr 2008
  • Intro Updated Nov 14, 2010

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Oct 26, 2010 at 2:50 PM

How nice that Teodora went out of her way to show you around! Good that they have built a replica of the Thracian Tomb to protect the real one. (Like the Lascaux cave in France.) -- And thanks for having a look at my "Cutting edge technology . . ." album.

• sirgaw's Profile Photo
    Dec 16, 2009 at 6:42 PM

Fascinating page and tips on a part of the world that I know nothing about. So much to see and so little time and money to see it all.

• Jun 15, 2009 at 8:19 PM

A pleasure to read of your visit in Kazanluk!! I'm also all smiles as I imagine the so familiar situation of nothing ever seems to work and yet it always works out just fiiiine. Cheers, Marina ;-))

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Jun 13, 2009 at 7:52 AM

That hotel does look really good and I am also a lover of hot chocolate - you think they can beat the hot chocos of Spain? Glad you enjoyed meeting with Teodora...Norman :)

• joiwatani's Profile Photo
    Apr 18, 2009 at 8:02 AM

Who is Teodora? Is she a VT member, too? That's nice of her...I need to hook up with her just in case I visit Bulgaria!

• Nikolay_Ivanov's Profile Photo
    Apr 8, 2009 at 6:02 AM

What a wonderful page! I knew that you'll like Kazanluk. It's a pitty that you had some problems with the transportation so it's a hightime for the authorities to make something about it... Greetings to Teodora for she has been so kind with you:)))

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Apr 4, 2009 at 12:39 PM

Lovely little page about this Bulgarian gem. Unfortunately I still haven't visited this fascinating country.

• ATLC's Profile Photo
    Aug 3, 2008 at 10:07 AM

At least there was a breakfast man! ;-)

unaS

“Courage is the willingness to be afraid and act anyway.”

Badges & Stats in Kazanluk

Have you been to Kazanluk?

Latest Activity in Kazanluk