"The Battle of Mohács: 29th August 1526" Mohacs by chewbacca1975
Mohacs Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 16 photos
The Battle of Mohács was fought on August 29, 1526 near Mohács, Hungary. In the battle, forces of the Kingdom of Hungary led by King Louis II of Hungary and Bohemia were defeated by forces of the Ottoman Empire led by Sultan Suleyman "the Magnificent."
The Ottoman victory led to the partition of Hungary for several centuries between the Ottoman Empire, the Habsburg Monarchy, and the Principality of Transylvania. The death of Louis II as he fled the battle marked the end of the Jagiellon dynasty in Hungary and Bohemia, whose dynastic claims were absorbed by the Habsburgs via the marriage of Louis' sister.
The victory did not give the Ottomans the security they wanted. Though they entered the unguarded evacuated Buda and pillaged the castle and surroundings, they retreated soon afterwards. It was not until 1541 that the Ottomans finally captured and occupied Buda without fight. However, to all intents and purposes, the Battle of Mohács meant the end of the independent Kingdom of Hungary as a unified entity. Amid political chaos, the divided Hungarian nobility elected two kings simultaneously, János Szapolyai in 1526, and Ferdinand I of Habsburg in 1527. The Ottoman occupation was contested by the Habsburg Archduke of Austria, Ferdinand I, Louis's brother-in-law and successor by treaty with King Vladislaus II.
chewbacca1975's Related Pages
Mohacs Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Having a devil of a time in Mohacs"
- "getting close to Danube"
- "The Battle of Mohács: 29th August 1526"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mohacs
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Mohacs?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mohacs
Top 10 Pages
- Cologne Intro, 4 reviews, 16 photos
- Budapest Intro, 19 photos, 3 travelogues
- Brugge Intro, 4 reviews, 13 photos
- Pecs Intro, 2 reviews, 11 photos
- Dresden Intro, 2 reviews, 8 photos
- Poznan Intro, 2 reviews, 8 photos
- Prague Intro, 1 review, 8 photos
- Sturovo Intro, 1 review, 8 photos
- Brussels Intro, 1 review, 7 photos
- Esztergom Intro, 1 review, 6 photos