Florence Things to Do Tips by wilocrek
Florence Things to Do: 2,105 reviews and 3,661 photos
For the best full views of Florence cross the Ponte Vecchio bridge coming from the Uffizi and take your second left which will lead into a small plaza that has two exits, take the exit on the far right and follow the winding path all the way up the hill to a old fortress and from there you will have a breathtaking view of the city of Florence. If your looking on a map the old fort I'm referring to is right next to the Boboli Gardens.
This is one of the most famous doors in Florence, and why not? Its gold! Located on the east side of the Baptistry, this golden door always has a crowd around it. On each square is a representation of historical religious event in the proper time line. The artistic skill involved is extremely impressive, so don't be turned off by the crowd around it, just fight your way to the front and enjoy!
Visiting the Baptistry is worth the price of admission for the painting on the inside of the dome. Not only is it a wonderful painting but because the dome isn't very high its easier to see and appreciate. Its also one of the easier paintings to follow and understand.
I don't know if Palazzo Vecchio actuall qualifies as a castle but it kind of looks like one. During Easter they often have parades that lead right to Palazzo Vecchio. This is definitely one of the most unique looking buildings in Florence and its hard to beat its location, wedged right in between the Duomo on one side and the Uffizi and Ponte Vecchio roughly on the other.
The Arno River has a rich history that spans hundreds of years. Its interesting to note that when Florence was being bombed during WWII they made sure to bomb all the bridges but Ponte Vecchio. So many of the bridges you see are more modern than you would initally think. During the summer season you can arrange for boat rides down the Arno which provide a different perspective of the city.
An ariel shot of the plaza
This unique plaza is home to the only merry-go-round in Florence. There is also a very large department store nearby. Perhaps the neatest thing about this plaza is that there are a lot of independent vendors selling paintings, leather belts, and other gifts that relate to Florence. There are food vendors selling sweet almonds and roasted chestnuts that give off a sweet aroma that fills the plaza. This is a nice place to visit towards the end of the day when you feel like winding down.
Its in this wonderful plaza where you can find the fake David and numerous other replica statues. So if you didn't have the patience to wait in line at the Academy you can at least say you saw the fakes! This plaza is located right down the street from the Duomo and has many different places to eat and is in the same area as the Uffizi and Ponte Vecchio.
The Duomo is the symbol of Florence. It towers over the city and dominates the skyline. You can climb to the top for an admission fee of 6 euro. The Duomo is closed on Sundays.
The only line thats longer in Florence than the Academy, is the line to get into the Uffizi. with its endless hallways of paintings and sculptures this is a museum that is worth the wait. Even more so than the Academy.
Address: City Center
Directions: next to Palazzo Vecchio
While the views from the Tower are very similar to those from the Duomo they are different in that you get a unique view of the Cathedral and her massive dome.
More Reviews (1)
wilocrek's Related Pages
Florence Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "weekends in Florence"
- "FIRENZE - FLORENCE"
- "My Relationship With Firenze"
- "Firenze -Florence - Florenz - Florencia"
- "Breathtaking Florence!"
- "Fabulous Florence"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Florence
- Hotels in Florence
- Transportation in Florence
- Nightlife in Florence
- Restaurants in Florence
- Shopping in Florence
- Warnings and Dangers in Florence
- See All...
Explore the World
- Watsons Bay Hotels
- Taal Hotels
- Sayulita Hotels
- El Progreso Hotels
- Northern Mariana Islands
- Fort Wayne
- Mountain Brook
Badges & Stats in Florence
- 19 Reviews
- 38 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Florence?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Florence
- Posted in Travel Israel Forum "Re: Complicated?"
- Wrote a Review The Golden Door about Battistero San Giovanni & Gate of Paradise in Florence Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Golden Door"
- updated a Florence Travel Page "Florence: David and the Goliath Duomo!"
- Commented on one of olgaehr's Florence travel pages
Photos in FlorenceSee All Photos (38)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 50 reviews, 161 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 34 reviews, 113 photos
- Rome Intro, 31 reviews, 70 photos
- Tulum Intro, 23 reviews, 59 photos, 1 travelogue
- Palenque Intro, 20 reviews, 58 photos
- Calakmul Intro, 21 reviews, 54 photos
- Jerusalem Intro, 15 reviews, 53 photos
- Arches National Park Intro, 20 reviews, 46 photos
- Beijing Intro, 12 reviews, 53 photos
- San Juan Intro, 15 reviews, 47 photos
Latest Florence hotel reviews
- Hotel Della Robbia
- 19 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 2, 2013
- Palazzo dei Ciompi MsnHotels
- 91 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 19, 2013
- Best Western Hotel Rivoli
- 381 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Palazzo Ruspoli
- 54 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 5, 2013
- Hotel Angelica
- 33 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 17, 2013
- Collodi Hotel Florence
- 77 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 13, 2013
- Central Beds
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 1, 2012
- La Residenza
- 82 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 22, 2013
- Hotel Fiorita
- 279 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 28, 2013
- Porta Faenza
- 474 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 22, 2013
- Hotel La Noce
- 31 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 18, 2013
- Residenza Millenium
- 19 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 30, 2013
- Relais Il Campanile
- 175 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 28, 2013
- Sampaoli Hotel
- 115 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 14, 2013
- Dei Mori Bed & Breakfast
- 402 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 11, 2013
- Il Duomo - Santa Maria del Fiore- 265 Reviews, 543 Photos
- Ponte Vecchio & Arno River- 203 Reviews, 344 Photos
- The Uffizi Gallery- 160 Reviews, 222 Photos
- Pitti Palace & Boboli Gardens- 125 Reviews, 263 Photos
- David Statue- 85 Reviews, 101 Photos
- Piazza della Signoria- 115 Reviews, 232 Photos
- Palazzo Vecchio- 76 Reviews, 150 Photos
- Piazalle Michelangelo- 61 Reviews, 114 Photos
- Basilica Santa Croce- 94 Reviews, 169 Photos
- Galleria dell'Accademia- 57 Reviews, 61 Photos
See All Florence Things to Do