Calakmul Favorite Tips by wilocrek
Calakmul Favorites: 2 reviews and 0 photos
Favorite thing: The best part of Calakmul is also its greatest challenge, its completely isolated! Plan on filling up your gas tank in Xpujil and buying snacks and water before heading to Calakmul because once there you will not have that luxury. Bring sunscreen. Although the majority of the paths are enveloped in the shade of the jungle, if you choose to climb the structures they are in direct contact with the sun! Climbing the structures is one of the great experiences of being in Calakmul so be sure to wear proper shoes for your adventure. I actually climbed them in sandals so it can be done at the expense of blisters and slippery footing. Your call.
Favorite thing: Getting there early in the morning is highly recommended. If your one of the first travelers down the narrow road to Calakmul you will be treated to the sights of wild turkeys roaming on the road and you might even catch a glimpse of a Jaguar leaping across the road as I did! Believe me I was glad to be in the car! Also plan on rolling down your window and listening to the sounds of the wildlife in the jungle. Once at Calakmul if you keep a sharp eye out you will see and hear howler monkeys and other animals as they roam the jungle that envelops the ruins. These are experiences you will not have at any other Mayan site!
More Reviews (19)
wilocrek's Related Pages
Calakmul Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Calakmul: The True Gem of the Yucatan"
- "An ancient Maya city in the jungle"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Calakmul
- Hotels in Calakmul
- Transportation in Calakmul
- Warnings and Dangers in Calakmul
- See All...
Explore the World
- Province of Quebec Hotels
- Side Hotels
- Khon Kaen
- Mali Island Hotels
- Fraser Island
- Apple River Canyon State Park Hotels
Badges & Stats in Calakmul
- 21 Reviews
- 54 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Calakmul?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Calakmul
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 50 reviews, 161 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 34 reviews, 113 photos
- Rome Intro, 31 reviews, 70 photos
- Tulum Intro, 23 reviews, 59 photos, 1 travelogue
- Palenque Intro, 20 reviews, 58 photos
- Calakmul Intro, 21 reviews, 54 photos
- Jerusalem Intro, 15 reviews, 53 photos
- Arches National Park Intro, 20 reviews, 46 photos
- Beijing Intro, 12 reviews, 53 photos
- San Juan Intro, 15 reviews, 47 photos