"Grafton, Vermont" Grafton by jne7299318
Grafton Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 15 photos
Grafton is what a typical village town used to be like in the state of Vermont. The Windham Foundation, a non-profit organization was founded by Dean Mathey in 1963. Mathey spent childhood summers in Grafton visiting with family and wanted to preserve the town as he remembered it from his boyhood days. The organization is responsible for the restoration/and or ownership of many of the buildings in Grafton and in the outlying area of Brattleboro. In Grafton, most of the houses are private residences and not open to the public. The Grafton Historical Society is a public facility and has many great displays on Grafton throughout the ages. it also has a huge Grafton photograph collection that can take days to peruse. Many wonderful photos can be seen within the pages of the photo displays.
The orginal Grafton Cheese Cooperative was founded in the 1892. Surplus milk from the dairy farms was brought to the cooperative and here it was manufactured into cheese. The original cooperative was destroyed by fire, but in the 1960's the cooperative was purchased and restored by the Windham Foundation. This organization has restored the facility and is now manufacturing cheddar cheeses as it was done (by hand) at the orginal cheese co-op.
A variety of award winning cheddars are turned out at this factory. You can watch these cheeses being made live at the Cheese Factory, too.
- Pros:The town is very compact: you are not running around from place to place.
- In a nutshell:A nice day trip!
jne7299318's Related Pages
Grafton Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Grafton
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Grafton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Grafton
Top 10 Pages
- Nassau Intro, 6 reviews, 13 photos
- London Intro, 5 reviews, 11 photos
- Charleston Intro, 6 reviews, 10 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 3 reviews, 11 photos
- Basye Intro, 1 review, 7 photos
- Sandwich Intro, 2 reviews, 5 photos
- Barre Intro, 1 review, 6 photos
- Bangor Intro, 1 review, 5 photos
- Freeport District Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos
- Portland Intro, 1 review, 4 photos
No friends yet.