"Providence-Pawtucket-Blackstone River Valley" Pawtucket by BeverlyTyler
Pawtucket Travel Guide: 17 reviews and 33 photos
Pawtucket, at the southern end of the Blackstone River Valley was the site chosen by Samuel Slater to built a cotton spinning mill.
The Blackstone's River constant and rapidly flowing water provided the mill with an inexaustable supply of power for Slater's machinery.
Samuel Slater began his career in the County of Derbyshire in the English Midlands in the factory of Richard Arkwright. Here he learned the process of spinning cotton into yarn. It was Arkwrights invention of the Cotton Spinning Water Frame," that began the Industrial Revolution in England in 1774.
Slater immigrated to Rhode Island, bringing his knowledge with him and with the help of Pawtucket artisans including Sylvanus Brown and David & Oziel Wilkinson he perfected a version of Arkwright's water frame. With the financial support of Providence investors and merchants, especially Moses Brown, Slater was able to produce and market the cotton yarn.
On December 20, 1790, Slater was finally successful in spinning cotton yarn and in doing so he launched the American Industrial Revolution and began the modern American factory system of production.
Providence began with visionary leader Roger Williams and grew into a successful City and state with the help of merchants such as Moses Brown.
The city is currently completing a rebirth of its downtown with emphasis on business, convention and tourism.
Providence Museums are expanding and gaining renewed interest with interactive displays and first-person narratives.
- Pros:Historic sites, walking trails, antique shops, unique restaurants, summer festivals
- Cons:Crowded area especially during festivals - many family restaurants giving way to chains
- In a nutshell:You will fall in love with the small town atmospheres and want to return again and again
Sylvanus Brown House Don't miss this colonial home and interpreted lifestyle buildings. Erected in 1758 and moved to its... more travel advice
BeverlyTyler's Related Pages
Pawtucket Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "PAWTUCKET- BIRTHPLACE OF THE INDUSTRIAL REVOLUTION"
- "SueRivet's new Pawtucket Page"
- "Providence-Pawtucket-Blackstone River Valley"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pawtucket
- Transportation in Pawtucket
- Restaurants in Pawtucket
- Shopping in Pawtucket
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pawtucket
- 2 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Pawtucket?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pawtucket
Top 10 Pages
- Setauket Intro, 14 reviews, 55 photos, 5 travelogues
- Port Jefferson Intro, 11 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Melbourne Intro, 10 reviews, 13 photos
- Pawtucket Intro, 2 reviews, 16 photos, 2 travelogues
- Austria Intro, 9 reviews, 8 photos
- Cairns Intro, 7 reviews, 9 photos
- Brookhaven Intro, 3 reviews, 11 photos, 2 travelogues
- Auckland Intro, 5 reviews, 8 photos
- Stony Brook Intro, 6 reviews, 7 photos
- Wrightsville Beach Intro, 6 reviews, 6 photos