Rio de Janeiro Local Custom Tips by marcbrazil Top 5 Page for this destination
Rio de Janeiro Local Customs: 288 reviews and 274 photos
A different photo of Copacabana
When you are in Rio you quickly realize that we all love the beach, no matter if the weather is fine or not, but we always find any reason to be close by the sea. Even when the sea is flat you will find a surfer having fun in our coast line! This photo was taken in the Fort of Copacabana in one of the afternoons that I usually go to the beach to walk. The view from this fort really offers a different perpective of Copa.
Me and Ferrugem, the king of the House!
Rafael, my big big big bi big big big big big fiend told me that our VT FRIEND and famous member Deecat loves cats and gardens. Specially CATS we must say!!!
As I am a cat lover and so does Rafael, one of Rafael's dreams is going to Africa just to spot lions, jaguars, chettahs in the wilderness.
So we decide to show to everybody here the cats of the house!!!
Here I am with the HOSTER...Ferrugem, he is the public ralation in Rafael's apartment!!!!
Ferrugem always insist that we have to be HIS BED!!!
Surfing in Copacabana
It is hard to explain in english what RESSACA is, but let me see if I can make you understand...the RESSACA happens and the ocean is very rough espacilly caused by lots of wind and bad weather, or the signs that acold front is coming!!!
It is a great chance for surfers in all over the city, even in Copacabana, close to the Fort lots of people go to the sea searching for big waves...
SO JUST IMAGINE....A HAWAIIAN PARTY IN COPACABANA BEACH!!!
I could take a picture of this girls bravely facing a wave!!!
Very carioca custon!
Street vendors are something easy to find every where!
CHURRASQUINHO is one of the words we have to say: BARBECUE, so I would translate as "STREET BARBECUE"..And I hardly miss one...that lady prepares such a delicious one. She stays very close to Gloria Metro Station, it is part of the old Rio located also in the Zona Sul Region of the city but in the Bay Area.
The churrasquinho of this lady is right located in the corner of Benjamin Constant Street with Gloria Street!
Me and Rafa in Buzios
Since I met this carioca called Rafael, he came to be my friend!And through him, I could meet a new way of life: The Carioca way of life! They are always in a good mood, talkative, love parties and new things. I really like the Carioca way of life. The way of going to the beach and drink Mate with Globo cookies...The way to dance a lot in the Carnival parade in the street...The way of singing Bossa nova where it came from!And doing all this with this WONDERFUL landscape!It's really really great!!!And I can assure you that Rafael is a typical Carioca! And nowadays I can tell you that I'm a "Marioca" (Maranhense + Carioca)...;)
He has style and I like th way he makes visitors from other countries feeling at home!
Me at the Sambodromo, last Carnaval!
Most of you know that CARIOCA is the nickname given to a native from Rio, I was born upnorth, in the State of Maranhão, but Carioca is more than being from this land...It is a state of spirit, you can see the happiness and the generosity of the Cariocas when you are at the Samba Parade in the temple of Samba, the so famous Sambodromo, there you see all cariocas of all social level celebrate gladness, pleasure and joy!!!
When you come to this city yourealize that there is soemthing different here, something that makes you feel complete in love with the land and also the people!
A REAL CARIOCA HAS A SAMBA SCHOOL - IN my case I am MANGUEIRA
A REAL CARIOCA HAS A FOOTBALL TEAM - In my case I am Flamengo
A REAL CARIOCA LOVES THE BEACH - I am crazy about Ipanema
A REAL CARIOCA LOVES THE SUN - I am a summer person!!!
Half of me belongs to Maranhão, that is my root, but the other half of me belongs to this land called Rio de Janeiro!
Me at Kizomba's band in Lapa
You cannot start any Rio's page without talking about CARNAVAL AND SAMBA...Maybe most of Rio's visitors must think that we just have a samba parade at the famous and very good Sambodromo...It is an awful mistake, all over the city are in TOTAL PARTY...It is parties everywhere!!! And there are many many street bands which performs such a unique party, and suddenly you are dancing with more than 10 thousand people and all the streets specially in the OLD RIO are crowded.
It is party till the morning lightwhich for sure you will not be back home earlier!!!
So once you come to Rio in february just try to be part of the SOUL OF THE CITY!!!!
And always remember that famous saying: IN ROME DO LIKE THE ROMANS...
IN BRAZIL DO LIKE THE BRAZILIAN and my people do love parties!!!!
More Reviews (78)
- See All THE NATURAL SHOWER?? I HAVE BEEN...
- See All MORRO DA URCA
- See All A DAY IN SANTA TEREZA
- See All GOING TO THE AIRPORT CAN BE FUNNY
- See All IN A WEEKEND...GO TO TO MARACANÃ
- See All A GOOD MUSEUM...FROM OUTSIDE :)
marcbrazil's Related Pages
Rio de Janeiro Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "RIO DE JANEIRO HAS SECRETS"
- "Welcome to the City of God"
- "Rio de Janeiro - Minha casa / My Home"
- "Rio de Janeiro - My favourite place on earth!"
- "RIO DE JANEIRO - WHAT A WONDERFUL WORLD!"
- "Imagining Rio"
- "Rio de Janeiro - a work in progress for a while..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rio de Janeiro
- Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
- Transportation in Rio de Janeiro
- Nightlife in Rio de Janeiro
- Restaurants in Rio de Janeiro
- Shopping in Rio de Janeiro
- Warnings and Dangers in Rio de Janeiro
- See All...
Explore the World
- Cotati Hotels
- Bad Salzig Hotels
- Brockville Hotels
- Cerros Polvos Azules Hotels
- Trece Martires City
Badges & Stats in Rio de Janeiro
- 85 Reviews
- 108 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 17 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Rio de Janeiro?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rio de Janeiro
- Wrote a Review THE NATURAL SHOWER?? I HAVE BEEN THERE!!! in Rio de Janeiro Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "THE NATURAL SHOWER?? I HAVE BEEN THERE!!!"
- updated a Rio de Janeiro Travel Page "RIO DE JANEIRO - WHAT A WONDERFUL WORLD!"
- Commented on one of wrldtravler's Rio de Janeiro travel pages
Photos in Rio de JaneiroSee All Photos (108)
Top 5 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rio de Janeiro Intro, 85 reviews, 108 photos
- São Luís Intro, 30 reviews, 35 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ilha Grande Intro, 6 reviews, 8 photos
- Alcântara Intro, 4 reviews, 7 photos
- Tutóia Intro, 3 photos
Latest Rio de Janeiro hotel reviews
- Everest Rio
- 100 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Miramar Palace Hotel
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
- Royalty Barra Hotel
- 55 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 30, 2013
- Golden Tulip Regente
- 176 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 10, 2013
- Promenade Casa Del Mar
- 20 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 10, 2013
- Paysandu Hotel
- 28 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 25, 2013
- Orla Copacabana Hotel
- 270 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 21, 2013
- Mercure Apartments Rio De Janeiro Ipanema
- 48 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Tiffany's Residence Service
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 13, 2013
- Colinas Residencia
- 17 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 23, 2013
- Hostel New Ipanema
- 8 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 28, 2013
- Hotel Marina All Suites
- 76 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 25, 2013
- Royalty Barra
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Vermont Hotel
- 69 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 30, 2013
- Pestana Rio Atlantica Hotel
- 70 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 9, 2013
- Christ The Redeemer, Corcovado- 157 Reviews, 253 Photos
- Sugar Loaf - Pão de Açucar- 126 Reviews, 223 Photos
- Copacabana- 105 Reviews, 171 Photos
- Ipanema- 64 Reviews, 104 Photos
- Carnaval- 58 Reviews, 84 Photos
- Downtown- 46 Reviews, 97 Photos
- Tijuca Forest- 26 Reviews, 38 Photos
- Santa Teresa- 34 Reviews, 40 Photos
- Maracanã Soccer Stadium- 41 Reviews, 69 Photos
- Botanical Garden- 40 Reviews, 65 Photos
See All Rio de Janeiro Things to Do