"THE LOVE ISLAND CALLED SÃO LUIS" São Luís by marcbrazil

São Luís Travel Guide: 31 reviews and 38 photos

AN SPECTACULAR CORNER OF BRAZIL - SÃO LUIS

What to say about my own city???? We are lucky to be LUDOVICENSES, I explain, that is how natives from São Luis are called! Very few people have heard about this northern corner of Brazil, but for the ones who do, they will quickly think about an historical city full of old buildings, barroc churches, narrow streets and very strong bohemian life!!! THIS IS ABSOLUTELY CORRECT!!!

But there are much more to be done in São Luis and there are some places here that you will be in touch with real nature. Natural pools in the jungle, thick forests, trails in the wild, rich fauna and exuberant flore, everything is waiting for you for one of the great adventures of your travel life right here, in the very beggining of your Amazon Journey...sure Maranhão is the point between MANGROVE (in portuguese we say REGIÃO DOS MANGUEZAIS) and SAVANNAH REGIONS (also known as Caatinga) and the beginning of the Tropical Forest...

And São Luis can be your reference in this journey!!!

Cool people, lots of fun in the historic centre, culture and history you will find a lot!!! I was born and raised here, and for sure I would love to make friends and express all the beauties, misteries and adventures that my city can offer!

I will try to help you by writing about my favourite spots in the city, i will tell you where to go and where not to go, the things you can do and the things you cannot do, and you will see that São Luis can be a great destination for Brazil in teh future!!!

Since 1612 we are here to make people fall in love with the ISLAND OF LOVE as we all say that Sao Luis is. So do like the french who once settled here, be a BON VIVANT in the city of Louis!;)

Picture taken at Maracanã area, november 2006

The historical center: REVIVER

This is a part of my city that I'm sure you will like it a lot!There in the picture you can see my best friend enjoying the historical part of my island. You can easyly find the portuguese and french influence in he way the buildings are made, because both of those people went here trying to explore the place.
This can work just like a game. A guessing game to discover which buildings have portuguese influence and which have french influence; The way the tiles are made, you can say and be sure you will answer right!;)
You can find a "Maranhense way of life " going to "REVIVER"...a little drink at a bar called "Antigamente" with a Sunmeat and after this a walk in the streets with "cantaria" stone in the floor, and in the end of the night a good concert in a public square: The tambor de crioula, to hear a very regional rhythm and watch the women dancing a lot.
Rafael, is a friend of my mine. He's from Rio de Janeiro. But I think he's a new maranhense, because he just got this way of life!:)

• Last visit to São Luís: Dec 2006
  • Intro Updated May 16, 2007

• sennaya's Profile Photo
    Dec 28, 2007 at 7:22 AM

Great swimming picture, here in Russia we would freeze!

• mallyak's Profile Photo
    Nov 28, 2007 at 11:11 PM

Carla and you, Poly and you look great!And you too have a very infectious smile!

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Nov 14, 2007 at 10:07 AM

Marc, another outstanding page with brilliant photos. Hmmm, it looks like you fell in love with the female sights of Sao Luis.

• lmkluque's Profile Photo
    Nov 5, 2007 at 10:28 AM

A lovely and loving view of your hometown! Sounds like a fantastic holiday destination!!

• RafaelTheSecond's Profile Photo
    Oct 28, 2007 at 9:11 AM

You've got the SPIRIT, MAN!!! it seems that you were born in Rio, you get me???LET'ME GIVE YOU AN EXAMPLE..your description of love about Copacabana is simply FATASTIC, MATE!

• cjg1's Profile Photo
    Oct 22, 2007 at 12:45 PM

Nice page. Do have fun when you go to BsAs. One of my favorite places.

• b1bob's Profile Photo
    Oct 21, 2007 at 6:22 PM

Nice job!

• ATLC's Profile Photo
    Oct 19, 2007 at 11:20 PM

Your tips breathe enthusiasm and life. Sao Luis/Ludovics... of course! It's the same name :-)

• JessH's Profile Photo
    Oct 17, 2007 at 10:25 PM

Hello Marcone, thank you very much for visiting my pages! You have very nice new pages here! I especially like the photo of you, mother & grandmother at the beach :-) We also have Hennah here, but I also have a real tattoo :-) Greetings from Dubai / Jess

• solopes's Profile Photo
    Oct 17, 2007 at 2:07 AM

Good start, Marc. Keep on watching and writing, if you have time - with friends like Carla it must be difficult!

marcbrazil Was Born Here!

marcbrazil

“Believe in your dreams and wishes with strengh and you will get everywhere!”

Badges & Stats in São Luís

Have you been to São Luís?

Latest Activity in São Luís