"金沢 The Golden Swamp" Top 5 Page for this destination Kanazawa by Mr.Sparkle
Kanazawa Travel Guide: 144 reviews and 382 photos
The name Kanazawa (金沢) is broken into two kanji symbols, one meaning gold, 金, and the other swamp, 沢. Hence, golden swamp. I?ve made this place my home for the last three years. It?s been an incredible time of learning and growth in my life. The landscape is blessed with many fantastic sites as well all 4 seasons. The city itself is wedged between the Japanese alps and the sea of Japan. Generally, the area is free from most natural disasters, such as tsunamis, volcanoes and earthquakes. We do get the occasional typhoon though. Mostly they are pretty weak. The down side to Kanazawa is the miserable weather we get most of the year. Winter?s are not the best time to visit, that is if you?re planning to make it to this part of Japan. Most days are rainy or snowy between November and early March. Spring and Autumn are by far the best times to visit. Summer can be just as rainy as the Winter and really hot and humid.
For those who brave the weather and make the journey, there is certainly plenty to do in the area and lost of great places to eat.
Kanazawa was spared bombing during WWII, so the city and its surrounding retain some of its old world charm. Like many cities in Japan, Kanazawa is dubbed ?Little Kyoto?, but Kanazawa actually deserves the title. Come and visit and I?m sure you?ll agree.
So, when?s the best time to visit Kanazawa????? Your best bet for an enjoyable visit is April-May or August-September. Both these periods are known for their clear weather and abundance of festivals.
- Pros:Lots to do in a central area.
- Cons:Really bad weather.
- In a nutshell:A city that actually deserves the title ?little Kyoto?
Chopsticks is a cool place to get drinks or dinner. the owner is really nice guy to boot. the prices are pretty good and... more travel advice
If you're going to make the trip to Hakusan, you might as well as do it the Japanese way and try to see the sunrise. You... more travel advice
- See All Nagamachi #5
- Them days can be wet!
- See All AEON FORUS
- See All Stay Bar Fun
Mr.Sparkle's Related Pages
Kanazawa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "金沢 The Golden Swamp"
- "Lasting impressions"
- "Snow City Kanazawa"
- "An alternative to temples in Japan"
- "Beautiful place, but...."
- "Kanazawa - seafood, castle and gardens"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kanazawa
- Hotels in Kanazawa
- Transportation in Kanazawa
- Nightlife in Kanazawa
- Restaurants in Kanazawa
- Shopping in Kanazawa
- Warnings and Dangers in Kanazawa
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kanazawa
- 69 Reviews
- 195 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Kanazawa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kanazawa
- Posted in Travel Beijing Shi Forum "Re: Hotel"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Japan?s most beautiful Garden"
- Wrote a Review Seriously the best coffee in Kanazawa about Dart Coffee D's in Kanazawa Restaurants
- Commented on one of Masalla's Kanazawa travel pages
- updated a Kanazawa Travel Page "金沢 The Golden Swamp"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kanazawa Intro, 69 reviews, 195 photos
- Japan Intro, 27 reviews, 62 photos
- Fuji Intro, 16 reviews, 46 photos
- Kitakata Intro, 15 reviews, 31 photos
- Sukhothai Intro, 12 reviews, 31 photos
- Chiang Mai Intro, 13 reviews, 19 photos
- Taipei Intro, 14 reviews, 16 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toyama Intro, 8 reviews, 21 photos
- Fukui-ken Intro, 7 reviews, 19 photos
- Hue Intro, 10 reviews, 10 photos