"A place worth a few hours of your time" Top 5 Page for this destination Toyama by Mr.Sparkle

Toyama Travel Guide: 48 reviews and 93 photos

aikeila Sat Nov 21, 2009 03:04 JST

I lived in Toyama for 10 years and there is plenty to do there. In summer it's a 15 minute drive to a beautiful beach and warm sea water. In autumn and winter, a 30 minute trip to the mountains for a thermal bath and skiing is a must.

As commented by a person who has lived in Toyama for 10 years, there are things to do if you have a car and can drive out to sites that are not really 'unique' to Toyama, like beaches or mountains. (in my humble opinion, the beaches are not really anything to jump up and down about, but the mountains are stunningly beautiful, when you can actually see them).

However, why go out for hamburgers when you can have steak instead?

For the normal traveler, Ishikawa is far superior. I'm not trying to offend anyone, just stating my opinion on the area, of which I am an expert. I've lived in Toyama and in two different cities in Ishikawa. I've been around to most places in the Hokuruku area, including most minor sites, but I have my own car and good friends in all 3 of the Hokuriku prefectures.

Ishikawa is better because it has better public transportation, more sites and sites of high profile/importance.

without knowing the lay of the land, having your own transportation and a knowledgeable guide of how to get to most of the places, you will be out of luck in Toyama. If you can meet the above conditions, you will find some great, though minor, sites.

As I said, I'm not trying to offend anyone here, just telling it the way it is.

• Pros:A few nice sights to see
  • Cons:Not really much to do.
  • Last visit to Toyama: Jan 2007
  • Intro Updated Nov 21, 2009

• Nov 20, 2009 at 1:04 PM

• Jul 9, 2009 at 8:40 AM

Thanks for the tips. We are moving our family to Toyama from New Orleans, USA for a position teaching glass at TIGA. Coming from the live-music capital of the USA, New Orleans, your "not much to do" comment is a bit frightening!

• Carmanah's Profile Photo
    Feb 20, 2008 at 12:01 PM

The castle looks beautiful all covered in snow!

Mr.Sparkle Used To Live Here!

Mr.Sparkle

“Never go the same way twice!”

Badges & Stats in Toyama