"A place worth a few hours of your time" Top 5 Page for this destination Toyama by Mr.Sparkle
Toyama Travel Guide: 48 reviews and 93 photos
aikeila Sat Nov 21, 2009 03:04 JST
I lived in Toyama for 10 years and there is plenty to do there. In summer it's a 15 minute drive to a beautiful beach and warm sea water. In autumn and winter, a 30 minute trip to the mountains for a thermal bath and skiing is a must.
As commented by a person who has lived in Toyama for 10 years, there are things to do if you have a car and can drive out to sites that are not really 'unique' to Toyama, like beaches or mountains. (in my humble opinion, the beaches are not really anything to jump up and down about, but the mountains are stunningly beautiful, when you can actually see them).
However, why go out for hamburgers when you can have steak instead?
For the normal traveler, Ishikawa is far superior. I'm not trying to offend anyone, just stating my opinion on the area, of which I am an expert. I've lived in Toyama and in two different cities in Ishikawa. I've been around to most places in the Hokuruku area, including most minor sites, but I have my own car and good friends in all 3 of the Hokuriku prefectures.
Ishikawa is better because it has better public transportation, more sites and sites of high profile/importance.
without knowing the lay of the land, having your own transportation and a knowledgeable guide of how to get to most of the places, you will be out of luck in Toyama. If you can meet the above conditions, you will find some great, though minor, sites.
As I said, I'm not trying to offend anyone here, just telling it the way it is.
- Pros:A few nice sights to see
- Cons:Not really much to do.
If you got an itch for shopping you can always head off to one of the many malls in the area. There is also the opened... more travel advice
Always worth a half hour of your time, check out the newly constructed Toyama castle. It does yield some beautiful... more travel advice
Mr.Sparkle's Related Pages
Toyama Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "modern farm"
- "Eiji's new Toyama Page"
- "Toyama; pleasant small city facing Sea of Japan"
- "A place worth a few hours of your time"
- "Gero - Three Main Hot Springs of Japan"
- "The Sexy Sensei and Toyama"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Toyama
- Hotels in Toyama
- Transportation in Toyama
- Nightlife in Toyama
- Restaurants in Toyama
- Shopping in Toyama
- Warnings and Dangers in Toyama
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Toyama
- 8 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Toyama?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Toyama
Photos in ToyamaSee All Photos (21)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kanazawa Intro, 69 reviews, 195 photos
- Japan Intro, 27 reviews, 62 photos
- Fuji Intro, 16 reviews, 46 photos
- Kitakata Intro, 15 reviews, 31 photos
- Sukhothai Intro, 12 reviews, 31 photos
- Chiang Mai Intro, 13 reviews, 19 photos
- Taipei Intro, 14 reviews, 16 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toyama Intro, 8 reviews, 21 photos
- Fukui-ken Intro, 7 reviews, 19 photos
- Hue Intro, 10 reviews, 10 photos