"Guanajuato" Guanajuato by m1nkey
Guanajuato Travel Guide: 180 reviews and 579 photos
Guanajuato is perched high on a mountain in the state of Guanajuato. A place of great history and of many legends. It has the distinction of being a place of great importance in the battle for Mexican independence from Spain. There is too much history for me to retell here but it is worth a few internet searchs to read about. On tale is of Juan Jose de los Reyes Martinez who strapped a large flat stone to his back in the midst of a battle. The Spainards were barricades inside a granary and Martinez wore the stone to deflect the bullets as he set fire to the wooden gates. Which allowed the Mexicna indians to storm the granary and win the battle. This was a pivitol event in the war of Independence. There is a statue of him high on a hillside overlooking Guanajuato.
There is another great story of two lovers. The " Callejon de Beso" (alley of the kiss) is a very narrow alley that is close enough that you can kiss from one building to another. The legend tells of Dona Ana and Don Carlos, two lovers that were forbidden to see each other by Dona Ana's father. But as the story goes they continued to see each other and her father stabbed her in the back. Later Don Carlos commited suicide, as in a lot of romantic tales, everybody dies. I have read another version of this same tale online. But this is a shortened version of how I heard it from our local guide. A ten year old girl named America who gave us a very practiced and professional speech about the legend. Well worth a dollar. It is a custom for couples to go there and kiss to bring good luck.
There are many museums to many different artists and writers. Cervantes spent a lot of time here and there are two Don Quixote museums. Also Diego Rivera, a famous Mexican artist, was born here. And the local school musicians walk and play music around the city plazas. Also ther is a network of tunnels that mange traffic. And I shouldn't forget the mummies. There are museums for mummies, the Spanish Inquisition and silver mines. It is a very rich and picturesque place. It should be on your list of less traveled places.
- Pros:Traditional colonial city, not touristy, full of interesting things to do.
- Cons:Not a place you want to drive, very hilly and not handicap friendly.
- In a nutshell:A gem of a travel destination, clean, friendly and affordable.
Guanajuato has many tunnels and the streets are narrow and ,many are blocked to traffic. Many others are long one way... more travel advice
This hotel actually has three locations in Guanajuato, we stayed at the Traditional. It was a healthy walk from the... more travel advice
m1nkey's Related Pages
Guanajuato Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Place of Montuous Frogs"
- "Travel Notes from Guanajuato"
- "Guanajuato, winding streets, and strange sites"
- "Just one day in Guanajuato leaves you wanting more"
- "THE COLONIAL CITY OF GUANAJUATO"
- "Guanajuato city"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Guanajuato
- Hotels in Guanajuato
- Transportation in Guanajuato
- Nightlife in Guanajuato
- Restaurants in Guanajuato
- Shopping in Guanajuato
- Warnings and Dangers in Guanajuato
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Guanajuato
- 4 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Guanajuato?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Guanajuato
Photos in GuanajuatoSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Saint Kitts and Nevis Intro, 18 reviews, 30 photos, 1 travelogue
- Guadalajara Intro, 11 reviews, 12 photos
- Panama Intro, 11 reviews, 9 photos
- Guanajuato Intro, 4 reviews, 11 photos
- Teotihuacán Intro, 6 reviews, 7 photos
- Maine Intro, 3 reviews, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Shenzhen Intro, 5 reviews, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
- Portland Intro, 8 reviews
- Colima Intro, 2 reviews, 6 photos
- Columbia Intro, 7 reviews
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
Latest Guanajuato hotel reviews
- Casa Zuniga B&B
- 320 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 30, 2013
- Alma del Sol Bed & Breakfast Inn
- 42 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 8, 2013
- Hotel Del Conde
- 1 Review & Opinion
Latest: Apr 4, 2010
- Posada Santa Fe Guanajuato
- 79 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 28, 2013
- Camino Real Guanajuato
- 58 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 23, 2013
- Holiday Inn Express Guanajuato Mexico
- 38 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 5, 2013
- Mision Guanajuato
- 31 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 6, 2013
- Casa Estrella De La Valenciana
- 116 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 20, 2013
- Real De Minas Guanajuato
- 32 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 11, 2013
- La Casa del Tio
- 22 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 18, 2013