"The Beautiful, wonderful city of Camarines Sur" Top 5 Page for this destination Naga City by nixca316

Naga City Travel Guide: 83 reviews and 341 photos

is a place a want to go back to ;^)

My favorite wedding song...

After the Sunset
Words and Music by Debbie McNeil
(almost always, I sing this during weddings)

I remember our first sunset
Watching the sky 'til it glowed
And I first thought I was falling in love
Now I know
Voices were calling illusion
Warning me not to believe

After the sunset,
After the colors have faded into the night
He brought the stars in shining in full
And we knew it was not just the night
Oh I loved you

It's not the morning, not the easy times
That have proven my heart
It's when I see that the darkness
Can't tear us apart
Joy is the light of the morning hours
Love brings the darkness to dawn

After the sunset

He'll bring the stars in, shining in full
And we'll know it's not just the night
Oh I love you....
I do.

This song by Debbie McNeil means so much to me. If someone could love me beyond my faults and my trangressions (besides God and my family, of course), then wow!

It's a pity that this picture of a Naga Sunset did not capture the true beauty and what I felt when I was staring at it. It would have been nice to share this sunset with a special someone. Yeah, yeah, love is in the air. It's Valentine's Day for heaven's sake and yes, I'm being sappy again.

Sharing a sunset together with whoever he is would be great. See, I'm not high maintenance. =)

Why did we go to Naga?

FEBRUARY 2007
Typhoon Reming destroyed parts of this beautiful city and we sent some stuff there. We were also supposed to have an ocular inspection of some sort and some other things on the side. When it was decided that we were to block our entire weekend of Feb. 9-11, I was uncertain. It was a pre-Valentine weekend, and I usually have work. Yet, I knew I really wouldn't miss it for the world.

Honestly, I didn't know what to expect when this wonderful city of Naga. Although I have been to other parts of Bicol, I haven't been here before. Yet, since I already blocked my entire weekend, I knew I had to go.

I was even willing to go alone just in case no one was available to travel with me. I needed a change of scenery and to get away from the hustles and bustles of my life in the metropolis (plus, it's great to put something "current" here in VT---hehehhe).

I'm so grateful that I was able to travel with Pia going there (See transportation tips). Her family is from Naga and she knows how to speak in Bicol (sadly, I don't). Ergo, no one could "fool" us.

Kuya Ricky (one of the elders of St. Francis de Sales Hearing Impaired Foundation Inc.) fetched us and we rode a tricycle (again, see my tips for transportation later) to Naga Land Hotel.

I was supposed to stay with the Sisters of the Little Mission for the Deaf (their convent can be found in a quaint place near the Basilica Minore, but one of the Naga Board members forgot to confirm that I was indeed welcome to stay with with them, so I ended up bunking with Pia.

I guess it was just right that I did. Besides being able to bond with my "sis", Naga Land hotel is so near so many places and once my travelogues and tips are up, you will see why I enjoyed my stay here.

Although I hardly slept on the bus, I didn't feel like wasting the morning so I went around town alone. I heard mass in Bicolano/English (Feast of St. Scholastica) and learned that some of the words were similar to Cebuano.

After the mass I went around the church (St. Francis of Assisi) then the neighboring establishments. I just walked, walked, walked, took note of the Landmarks, then was able to visit the Archbishop's Palace, the Good Shepherd Convent, The University of Sta. Isabel, The Holy Rosary Seminary, the Freedom Plaza and so much more.

I even tried eating some of the native delicacies (the ones below were the ones served by the St. Francis de Sales Hearing Impaired Foundation Inc. Naga Board) since my sugar was low anyway.

The people in Naga are very helpful (well, there were some goons, but they're everywhere anyway) and sincere.

Guys, the ratio of women to men is 4:1. Hmmm. There were a lot of backpackers there. Do you think that's why? ;p

Before 9 in the morning Pia was already looking for me, so I went back to the hotel. A little while later Gina called us for breakfast then we went to the E-mall across the street to bond with Kuya Ricky.

Later in the afternoon we went to Balatas Road to visit the Sisters of the Little Mission for the Deaf. We helped prepare the souvenirs for the mass wedding of three deaf couples that obviously loved each other to high heavens.

Still a little while later, Pia and I went to the Basilica to pray and had a wonderful experience there.

In the evening we had a feast served by the nuns, aspirants and the Naga Board (wasn't able to take pictures of the food). We had a short program afterwards.

On Sunday morning we had breakfast, went to the Market to buy Pili Nut products and some handicrafts. We had lunch(Pia and Bambi went to get our tickets, the three of us: Gina, Kuya Ricky and myself, had lunch at the E-mall---I ate shawarma!), freshened up, then took the jeepney to the Immaculate Concepcion (sic) Parish to attend the beautiful mass wedding of the three couples.

The choir was great and so was the service. We even cried in some parts of the mass...

The reception was help at the formation center. It was simple, but very, very memorable.

NOVEMBER 2007

The 18th Philippine Catholic Congress on Deafness was held at Pili, but preparations were held at the Gualandi Formation Center, Balatas, Naga City, Camarines Sur.

It was fun to go back and stay at the SLMD Convent for a few days before the congress.

We were able to go around the city. I was able to appreciate the place more and can't wait to go back there (again). =)

• Pros:It's a very romantic place, lots of beautiful sceneries, lots of places where you can just snuggle up and just enjoy the sunsets and stars...oh, we can't discount the fact that there are many historical places here too!
  • Cons:Some roads are still bumpy; some places are VERY laid back
  • In a nutshell:I'll definitely go back here
  • Last visit to Naga City: Nov 2007
  • Intro Updated Jun 15, 2009

• davidjo's Profile Photo
    Jan 26, 2014 at 9:21 PM

One of the wonders!! Really. i must have missed it when i passed by in '79 and '90

Jan 26, 2014 at 9:58 PM

Cool!

May I just comment about "Tobacco"? It's actually Tabaco. Although Tobacco is translated as tabako(which actually also sounds like, "I'm fat" when separated--LOL taba=fat ko=shorter form of ako which means me) Tabaco, Albay was named for the blacksmiths who make razor sharp "tabak" or "bolo" (sword like blade) and they also make razor sharp scissors. :)

• davidjo's Profile Photo
      Jan 26, 2014 at 10:38 PM

good to know

• Dec 21, 2009 at 5:41 AM

Hello, Thank you for posting the words to the song. Can you send me an audio file/mp3 of the song "After the Sunset" to meshatrav@gmail.com ? Thank you.

Sep 14, 2012 at 12:49 AM

I know I emailed you, but I couldn't find an mp3 or any audio file(the cassette tape I have is dilapidated...I was trying to find the CD version, but I couldn't find it yet...they sell mostly Hillsong...)

• Jun 14, 2009 at 12:50 AM

members.tripod.com/slmdguala... - you may also want to check out their website! (sisters of the little mission for the deaf - slmd)

• Aug 2, 2008 at 10:59 PM

Great love stories

• budapest8's Profile Photo
    Oct 23, 2007 at 9:01 AM

I Love the 'After the Sunset' song, sounds like yr a real romantic at heart. Thanks for visiting my HP. Welcome back to review some of my pages when u have time. Greetings from Hungary...Tim.....

• Jun 11, 2007 at 7:19 PM

Were you able to taste Linukay? It's similar to Biko and Suman with coconut milk. It's good!

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    May 8, 2007 at 11:12 PM

Lazy boy seems like the way to travel here ;-)

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Mar 21, 2007 at 4:19 PM

Nice to see the more modern church = enjoyed your page but I see you have to get up early to avoid the traffic!!

Sep 14, 2012 at 12:52 AM

:) It's a pretty laid-back place...there are still roads that never experience heavy traffic, but in the CBD, yes, you have to wake up early to avoid it.

• jckim's Profile Photo
    Mar 15, 2007 at 4:31 AM

Interesting place Veronica! Thanks sharing! Cheers!

Sep 14, 2012 at 12:52 AM

You're most welcome. Thanks for dropping by. Cheers!

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Mar 5, 2007 at 5:45 AM

Nice introduction to Naga City, Lara Mia. Was this a mission trip or was your trip job related? Your experience at the church was very interesting...enjoy your week!

nixca316

“Pure clean fun with good friends...start in your own backyard, then explore the world”

Badges & Stats in Naga City

Have you been to Naga City?

Latest Activity in Naga City