"Torno by Lake Como" Torno by SailorRoar

Torno Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 20 photos

Finding Torno

Me and my travel compagnion discovered Torno by luck, we arrived in Como by car, and asked at the tourist information for some budget accomodation. The friendly lady gave us a map of the area with phone numbers to lots of places. The traffic in Come (like elsewhere in Italy) was pretty hectic so we decided to look for a place just out of town, which we thought would better our chances of finding parking. After trying a couple of places we found a Bar and Guesthouse in Torno, which had a room awailable and the host even spoke english. So we drove up to Torno, and parked by the city hall. The rest of the city is car free, so we had to carry our stuff down to the harbour where the guesthouse was located. But it was so worth the little effort :)

One night in heaven

When we got there we soon realized that this must be one of the most beautiful places on earth. The city center is located on the waterfront of Lake Como. I has stone tiled streets, the shielded stone harbour has steps down to the water which the locals pull their boats up on. I can't describe the beauty of this place so I will post some more and bettter pictures soon. Unfortunately we had only one night in Torno so we didn't rush arround town to see what it was like, we just do what you should do at a place like this. We found a bench to sit on and enjoyed the scenery...

Facts

I don't know much about the place since I only had a few hours there, but it is truly a place to recomend. I an going back here I can garantie that much. Appart from that the city is car free as I have mentioned, so the easiest way to get there i reckon is to take one of the boats that traffic Lake Como, from Como. There are a couple of nice restaurants down in the city center, only one was open the night we where there, but the food was excellent.

• Pros:Beautiful small city with no cars in the city center.
  • Cons:Limited parking
  • In a nutshell:Torno is the most beautiful place I have ever visited!
  • Last visit to Torno: Sep 2006
  • Intro Updated Nov 29, 2006

Comments

SailorRoar

“Nothing is impossible ;)”

Badges & Stats in Torno