"St. Petersburg: a City for all Seasons" Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Petersburg by sennaya
Saint Petersburg Travel Guide: 3,480 reviews and 7,351 photos
Precious Summer in Saint Petersburg!
The fountains are running, days are long, nights are bright and short and an exuberance of life flows through St. Petersburg. Warm days, green lush grass and more blue skies, summer overflows with optimism!
And in Winter ...
The New Year includes Christmas customs in Russia and December is a month of lights and festivities. Between European Christmas Dec. 25, Hanukkah, and old Russian new Year Jan. 7 creates about two weeks of holidays. Temperatures are around freezing and occasional snow or rain, but mild. Real winter comes later in January or February. Canals are freezing over, bridges are closed for ships and people are out on the town in holiday spirits.
Halloween has become popular in Russia in the past 5 years. Many clubs and restaurants have special parties and you come in costume and get free entrance and see other fun-loving people celebrating this holiday.
The younger generation seems to like to dress up and have a fun holiday and a new tradition is started in Russia. Despite a ban on Halloween in Moscow schools by orthodox church and education officials, it is growing.
And of course you can celebrate at home just as easily, you can find pumpkins and some decorations in big grocery stores.
Trick-or-treating where children go door to door is not done, but children can go to organized events at places like Krestovsky Ostrov and celebrate a fun time in costumes and get free candy!
Things everyone must see in St. Petersburg:
The Hermitage, Palace Square and the Alexander Column, Church of Our Savior on Spilled Blood, The Peter and Paul Fortress, Summer Garden and Mars Field, Rostral Columns, The Admiralty, St. Isaac's Cathedral, The Bronze Horseman (Peter the Great), Nevsky Prospect, Kazan Cathedral, Russian Museum, The Bank Bridge, The Lion Bridge, The Palace Bridge - White Nights, Monument to Catherine the Great.
The Peter and Paul Fortress during a long winter night across the Neva River. There is a magical glow from the dim lights across the snow and ice.
St. Petersburg was ordered out of the Neva River delta swamps on May 27, 1703 by Peter the Great. Everywhere are rivers and canals, making the city's nickname the Venice of the North.
Things to see if you can:
The Cabin of Peter the Great, The Menshikov Palace, The Mariinsky Theatre, Gostiny Dvor, Smolny Cathedral, Academy of Fine Arts Museum,
The Applied Art Museum, Arctic and Antarctic Museum,
The Cruiser "Aurora," St. Nicholas' Naval Cathedral, Central Railway Museum, Museum of Artillery, Dostoyevsky Memorial Museum, Icebreaker "Krasin," Central Navy Museum, Alexander Pushkin Museum and Memorial Apartment, Russian Ethnography Museum,
The Stroganov Palace, Aleksander Suvorov Memorial Museum, The Yelagin Palace, The Yusupov Palace, Zoological Museum Natural History, KunstKamera, Alexander Garden, Botanical Garden, Leningrad Zoo, Park of Victory, Tauride Garden, Kirov Central Culture and Leisure Park. Krestovsky Ostrov, St. Sampson Cathedral, Trinity Cathedral, Catherine Garden, St. Sampson Cathedral, Transfiguration Cathedral, Vladimir Mother of God Icon Church, Monument to Fiodor Dostoyevsky, Monument to the Heroic Defenders of Leningrad, The Narva Gate, The Moscow Gate, Monument to Peter the Great Rastrelli, abstract Monument to Peter the Great Shemiakin, The Tsar Carpenter, Monument to Nicholas I (St. Isaac Square), Monument to Alexander III, Statue of Goethe, Statue of Gogol on Malaya Konyushennaya, Chizhik Pyzhik - the smallest monument, Statue of Turgenev, Statues of Mikhail Kutuzov and Barclay de Tolley, Mikhailovsky (St. Michael's) Castle, Piskariovskoye Memorial Cemetery, Alexander Nevsky Bridge, Anichkov Bridge, Blue Bridge, Egyptian Bridge, Leutenant Schmidt Bridge, Lomonosov Bridge, Trinity Bridge, Exchange Bridge, Italian Bridge, American Bridge, Trinity Bridge, First Engineer Bridge, Tuchkov Bridge, Volodarsky Bridge, Lower Swan Bridge, Alexander Nevsky Monastery and cemetary.
Any time of year is fascinating in St. Petersburg, the cultural capital of Russia. The most famous time is the White Nights of June and July when the sun barely sets and the weather is mild.
After midnight the bridges are raised and there is a festive atmosphere each night as the bridges rise and the islands of St. Petersburg are separated for some hours. Make sure you stay on your own island if you want to get home to sleep!
You can squeeze two days into one. In winter you are wise to reverse the scenario and squeeze two nights into one :)
Must see sights outside the center:
Peterhof, Palaces of Pushkin Tsarskoye Selo), Gatchina Palace, Pavlovsk, Lomonosov-Oranieumbaum, Cottage Palace in Peterhof / Petrodvorets, Vyborg, Finland Gulf...
There is so much to see, try to spend 6 months if you can!
Here is a clip of some walls in St. Petersburg on YouTube:
- Pros:So much Culture in one place!
- Cons:Challenges and greatness all mixed together
- In a nutshell:Everything cultural and Russian has a tie to St. Petersburg
When you are late to cross the bridges you can take a boat ride and stay together with your heart mate. Also you can... more travel advice
Since the fire in 2006 the once beautiful Trinity Cathedral has been under more reconstruction. In October 2008 a gold... more travel advice
- See All Admiralty park with swing set
- See All Hire a car with or without driver
- See All Bed and Breakfast hotel
- See All Tripods
- See All Safety in the big city
sennaya's Related Pages
Saint Petersburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "St. Petersburg: a City for all Seasons"
- "St Petersburg : City of Peter the Great"
- "St. Petersburg in Spring"
- "STUNNING ST. PETERSBURG!"
- "St. Petersburg - City of cathedrals and bridges"
- "St Petersburg in Summer"
- "Saint Petersburg~ Russia at its best!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Saint Petersburg
- Hotels in Saint Petersburg
- Transportation in Saint Petersburg
- Nightlife in Saint Petersburg
- Restaurants in Saint Petersburg
- Shopping in Saint Petersburg
- Warnings and Dangers in Saint Petersburg
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Saint Petersburg
- 344 Reviews
- 636 Photos
- 46 Forum posts
- 39 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Saint Petersburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saint Petersburg
- Uploaded a Video to Saint Petersburg
- updated a Saint Petersburg Travel Page "St. Petersburg: a City for all Seasons"
- Posted in Travel Leningradskaya Oblast' Forum "Re: St Petersburg in October"
- Wrote a Review Admiralty park with swing set about City Parks in Saint Petersburg Local Customs
- Uploaded a Photo to "Night boat Dancing"
- Commented on one of 4culture's Saint Petersburg travel pages
Videos in Saint PetersburgSee All Videos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Petersburg Intro, 344 reviews, 636 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tobol'sk Intro, 92 reviews, 173 photos
- Ozero Roshino Intro, 35 reviews, 58 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination American Samoa Intro, 26 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues
- Rogue River Intro, 17 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Moscow Intro, 28 reviews, 16 photos
- Smolensk Intro, 5 reviews, 11 photos
- Luga Intro, 3 reviews, 10 photos
- Fresno Intro, 2 reviews, 9 photos
- Grants Pass Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (12)
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (4)
Latest Saint Petersburg hotel reviews
- 53 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Hotel Astoria
- 252 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- Sokos Hotel Vasilievsky
- 196 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Hotel Moscow (Moskva)
- 157 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 4, 2013
- Grand Hotel Europe
- 376 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Radisson Blu Royal Hotel
- 141 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 19, 2013
- Business Hotel Karelia
- 15 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 17, 2013
- Corinthia Hotel St. Petersburg
- 251 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Herzen House Hotel St. Petersburg
- 77 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 6, 2013
- Park Inn Pribaltiyskaya
- 218 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 20, 2013
- Nevsky 64
- 1 Review & Opinion
- 21 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 23, 2013
- Grand Hotel Emerald
- 29 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 26, 2013