"Tobol'sk - Pearl of Siberia and Heart of Russia" Tobol'sk by sennaya
Tobol'sk Travel Guide: 39 reviews and 199 photos
Tobol'sk has been inhabited since ancient times by various groups, but the modern city was founded over 400 years ago when Ermak conquered the Tatar city of Isker and the Russian empire expanded to Siberia.
Tobol'sk grew and prospered under the Romanovs and became an important spiritual and agricultural area for Russia.
When the Siberian railway went across Russia it
bypassed Tobolsk, which was a major business and
spiritual center of Siberia at that time.
The Kremlin of Tobolsk sits high on the hill over
the Irtysh River and north of the confluence with
the Tobol River. It contains the well-known St. Sophia Church.
2007 is the 420th Jubilee of Tobol'sk. It was
founded in 1587 after Ermak defeated the Tatars in
their capital of Isker, located southeast of the
current city on the banks of the Irtysh River.
Tobolsk was the home of D. I. Mendeleyev the scientist who invented
the Periodic Table of Chemical Elements.
Popular fairy tale author P.P. Ershov (1815-1869)
wrote the "Humpbacked Little Horse" fairy-tale in
1834. Originally the story was banned by the
Government and Ershov was sent to Tobolsk, Siberia.
It wasn't printed in full until 1917.
Pushkin and Dostoevsky spent time in Tobolsk
during their panishment to Siberia from Moscow and
The notorius holy man to the Czarina, Grigori
Rasputin, was born a few miles away in the
Many Decembrists including G.S. Batenkov were exiled
to Tobolsk and are buried there.
Other famous russians connected to Tobol'sk
Composer Alexander Alyabyev.
Artist M.I. Znamensky.
Russian emperor Nicholas II and his family lived in
Tobolsk from August, 1917 to April, 1918.
The last happy days they knew.
family lived in the Governor`s house. They occupied
the second floor of the house, the first floor
served as a dining room The Czar's study has been
restored and is open as a museum on the 2nd floor.
President Putin visited March 6, 2003 and declared
that tobolsk will become a major tourist area and
money is being spent to renovate many buidlings and
One of the First trips by President Medvedev was to Tobol'sk in March 2008.
Russian President Medvedev inTobol'sk
This beautiful Elizabeth and Zakhariya Church in the lower city is mostly boarded up waiting for restoration.
This is near the Kremlin on the hill. It is Gostiniy Dvor, the old shopping center. You can get some souvenirs inside. It is recently renovated.
- Pros:Beautiful locations
- Cons:Off the beaten track
- In a nutshell:A place to experience the siberian heartland
A traditional banya is usually a small log house with several rooms. First to enter and prepare and with a cold shower... more travel advice
- See All Watch for nice woodwork on old houses
- Mosquitos in summer
- See All St. Sophia Church
- See All Milk World
sennaya's Related Pages
Tobol'sk Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tobol'sk - Pearl of Siberia and Heart of Russia"
- "Once Tobolsk was named " The Siberian Venice "."
- "City at Tobol river"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tobol'sk
- Hotels in Tobol'sk
- Transportation in Tobol'sk
- Restaurants in Tobol'sk
- Shopping in Tobol'sk
- Warnings and Dangers in Tobol'sk
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tobol'sk
- 92 Reviews
- 173 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Tobol'sk?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tobol'sk
- updated a Tobol'sk Travel Page "Tobol'sk - Pearl of Siberia and Heart of Russia"
- Posted in Travel Leningradskaya Oblast' Forum "Re: St Petersburg in October"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Gostiniy Dvor"
- Wrote a Review Russian Banya in Tobol'sk Off The Beaten Path
- Commented on one of Baikal_Dream's Tobol'sk travel pages
Photos in Tobol'skSee All Photos (173)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Petersburg Intro, 344 reviews, 636 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tobol'sk Intro, 92 reviews, 173 photos
- Ozero Roshino Intro, 35 reviews, 58 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination American Samoa Intro, 26 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues
- Rogue River Intro, 17 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Moscow Intro, 28 reviews, 16 photos
- Smolensk Intro, 5 reviews, 11 photos
- Luga Intro, 3 reviews, 10 photos
- Fresno Intro, 2 reviews, 9 photos
- Grants Pass Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos