"The Bard is Alive and Well" Top 5 Page for this destination Stratford by Bunsch
Stratford Travel Guide: 37 reviews and 98 photos
2011 marks the 60th anniversary of the largest classical repertory company in North America, the Stratford Festival of Canada. For at least the last forty of its years, my family has been well represented during the season. Stratford was close enough for Detroiters to make a weekend of it; it is well within driving range for those in New York, Pennsylvania, and Ohio as well as Canadians from Ontario and Quebec. And if you're into plays, making the trek is a kind of pilgrimage. (Buffs like to take in Niagara-on the Lake, while they're at it, for the Shaw Festival.) The original Festival Theater has now been joined by several other stages, making it possible in four days to see six or seven plays. It is expensive, if not by New York standards, but the quality is there. We've gone back annually simply because it is an excellent experience, and it is a thrill to see the younger generation getting hooked!
Stratford has several things in common with its English namesake, including the snooty swans that make their home on the little islets in the Avon. But chiefly, it is a city which caters to the theatrical crowd, with an eclectic group of restaurants (all accustomed to getting patrons out for the curtain), trendy shops (my favorite toy store in the world is located here), and recreational activities. You can easily make a day of it, strolling around the central core of the city; you can rent a canoe and paddle around on the Avon. But it is also entertaining to explore a little farther afield. In nearby St. Mary's, for example, there is a quarry which has long been converted into a swimming hole -- formally, that is, with the addition of a diving tower, lifeguards, etc. -- which is always on our "must visit" list.
- Pros:Great theater, great shopping, great eating
- Cons:Pricy, parking limitations
One thing you'll definitely want to do is explore the Avon River. You can do this in four ways. If you're fit and... more travel advice
Gallery Stratford, in a restored pump house, is conveniently located on the parklands surrounding the Festival Theater,... more travel advice
Bunsch's Related Pages
Stratford Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Bard is Alive and Well"
- "Stratford Festival"
- "A bit of Merrie Olde England"
- "Brush Up Your Shakespeare - and More!"
- "Theatre Central"
- "Festival Theatre , Stratford , Ontario"
- "Stratford, Ontario, Shakespeare's second home"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Stratford
- Hotels in Stratford
- Restaurants in Stratford
- Shopping in Stratford
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Stratford
- 8 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (28)
Have you been to Stratford?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Stratford
Photos in StratfordSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Providence Intro, 89 reviews, 92 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tokyo Intro, 57 reviews, 82 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Volterra Intro, 35 reviews, 41 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orvieto Intro, 24 reviews, 29 photos
- New York City Intro, 22 reviews, 27 photos
- Albuquerque Intro, 14 reviews, 35 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 11 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ravenna Intro, 21 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Parma Intro, 21 reviews, 19 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Haven Intro, 11 reviews, 15 photos