"An unexpected treasure!" Canyon by Bunsch
Canyon Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 34 photos
I'd never heard of Canyon; in fact, I didn't know there were any canyons at all in Texas (which, with my monolithic Eastern mind, I envisioned as essentially flat and featureless). Thanks to some guidance on a VT travel forum, I was steered towards this small Texas town, twenty miles or so south of Amarillo, as the jumping off place for a tour of Palo Duro Canyon.
Let me say here that there ARE other things to see in Canyon, but since I didn't see them, I'll have to leave you to discover them on your own. I do encourage you to go out of your own way to find Palo Duro Canyon, however. For one thing, it is much less crowded than its cousins to the northwest in Colorado, Arizona and Utah. For another, you can get to the floor of the canyon without having to ride a burro. And admit it...how many people can say they've visited the second biggest canyon in the United States? Join the elite!
- Pros:Outstanding scenery
- Cons:Somewhat off the beaten path
- In a nutshell:250 million years of erosion can't be wrong!
Things to remember about Palo Duro Canyon: The name derives from the hard woods of the trees which grow in some... more travel advice
Things to remember about Palo Duro Canyon: In a place with literally hundreds of miles of hiking, biking, and bridle... more travel advice
Bunsch's Related Pages
Canyon Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "An unexpected treasure!"
- "Canyon, Texas... home of the Buff"
- "Buffalo on Lone Star"
- "A Perfect Launching Point"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Canyon
- 6 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to Canyon?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Canyon
Photos in CanyonSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Providence Intro, 91 reviews, 90 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tokyo Intro, 57 reviews, 82 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Volterra Intro, 35 reviews, 41 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orvieto Intro, 24 reviews, 29 photos
- New York City Intro, 23 reviews, 27 photos
- Albuquerque Intro, 14 reviews, 35 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 11 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ravenna Intro, 21 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Parma Intro, 21 reviews, 19 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Stratford Intro, 13 reviews, 20 photos