"What a great place to live!" Top 5 Page for this destination Providence by Bunsch
Providence Travel Guide: 278 reviews and 479 photos
When our family relocated to Providence from Detroit, I was excited about living close to the ocean again -- not to mention close to skiing, close to great theater (I thought I'd have to go to New York for it, though), close to places that were special to me. But I wasn't excited about Providence itself, which had little charm. Over the past twenty years, though, the city has experienced a dramatic renaissance. It began with the river relocation, construction of the river walks, and the nearly wholesale restoration/renovation/reconstruction of much of the downcity area. Now Providence is a destination community, crammed with artists, new downtown living options, great restaurants, exciting cultural events, a major downtown mall...and it is STILL close to the ocean, close to skiing, etc. I've had opportunities to move, and haven't accepted them, because I love coming home. The picture is a day-light view of the city's signature event, WaterFire, created by Barnaby Evans, a colleague in Leadership Rhode Island. During the late spring through early fall, our rivers are "lit" -- Barnaby's multimedia event draws thousands to the waterfront.
Probably most people think of Brown University and the Rhode Island School of Design as being associated with Providence, but they're hardly the only games in town. Johnson & Wales University, Providence College, and Rhode Island College also educate thousands of students. Many of these colleges and universities offer opportunities for residents to take or audit courses, and their vast resources (libraries, museums, theater, dance and music programs, etc.) are available to the community. Our mayors have negotiated a program in which all these institutions make significant contributions to the city -- not just in terms of payments in lieu of taxes, but also in sharing the educational wealth (ideas and people) with the city's school system. That benefits everyone!
How many cities cherish a giant termite? Or insist on giving directions featuring landmarks which no longer exist? Folks in Rhode Island are absolutely addicted to Dunkin' Donuts -- there are more shops here, per capita, than anywhere in the world. There is a bit of pride about being a city built on seven hills, like someplace in Italy. People here have summer homes that are only twenty or thirty minutes away from their primary residences! Rhode Island operates like a city-state; in fact, it is substantially smaller than many counties elsewhere. We only have one statewide newspaper; in Providence, the entire City Council membership is Democratic. We celebrate St. Patrick's Day (March 17) and St. Joseph's Day (March 19) almost as state holidays, since a large percentage of the population is of Irish or Italian descent (and overwhelming Roman Catholic).
- Pros:Walkable, great restaurants, educational/cultural stuff
- Cons:High taxes, high cost of living generally
- In a nutshell:"The universal haven of the odd, the free and the dissenting" (H.P. Lovecraft)
You'd think that a place calling itself "Bluefin Grille" would specialize in seafood. Perhaps they do so in the... more travel advice
Miko sells sex. More precisely, it sells exotic clothing (it's a lot of fun to go shop just before Hallowe'en or... more travel advice
- See All Hot weiners: our late night food
- See All People here belong to Red Sox Nation
- See All Pining for Lebanese food?
- The Glorious Third?!
- Some general advice
Bunsch's Related Pages
Providence Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "What a great place to live!"
- "Providence....our Capitol City"
- "Providence .... The Renaissance City"
- "Providence, Rhode island"
- "I live here"
- "Welcome to Providence, RI!"
- "Rhode Island and Providence Plantations"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Providence
- Hotels in Providence
- Transportation in Providence
- Nightlife in Providence
- Restaurants in Providence
- Shopping in Providence
- Warnings and Dangers in Providence
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Providence
- 89 Reviews
- 92 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 25 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (26)
Have you been to Providence?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Providence
- Posted in Travel Tokyo Forum "Re: Tokyo - Osaka or Kyoto"
- Commented on one of Bunsch's Providence travel pages
- updated a Providence Travel Page "What a great place to live!"
- Uploaded a Photo to "What a great place to live!"
- Wrote a Review Decent review for an in-hotel restaurant in Providence Restaurants
Photos in ProvidenceSee All Photos (92)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Providence Intro, 89 reviews, 92 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tokyo Intro, 57 reviews, 82 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Volterra Intro, 35 reviews, 41 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orvieto Intro, 24 reviews, 29 photos
- New York City Intro, 22 reviews, 27 photos
- Albuquerque Intro, 14 reviews, 35 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 11 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ravenna Intro, 21 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Parma Intro, 21 reviews, 19 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Haven Intro, 11 reviews, 15 photos