"Home of the Chautauqua Institution" Chautauqua by Bunsch
Chautauqua Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 35 photos
The Chautauqua Institution probably doesn't approve of such a tongue-in-cheek description of what is, after all, one of the nation's oldest and best-known amalgams of think tank plus cultural juggernaut plus recreational venue plus plus plus...but I can't think of a better way to describe this throw-back to more simple times. It reminds me a little of Michigan's Mackinac Island, where transport is limited to four legs; although Chautauqua permits cars (in limited places and for limited times), many of its streets and byways are restricted, some barring even bicycle traffic. There's something quite wonderful about seeing a horde of people walking down the brick paths, avidly discussing the speaker or program they've just seen.
While I was visiting, I stopped to pick up a brochure for some new condominiums. It had this useful information about the Chautauqua Institution generally: "The Chautauqua Institution is a not-for-profit, 750-acre community on Chautauqua Lake in southwestern New York State, where approximately 7,500 persons are in residence during the nine week season. Chautauqua is dedicated to the exploration of the best in human values and the enrichment of life. The nine week season includes events, lectures and engagements encompassing the arts, education, religion and recreation. The website www.ciweb.org has the upcoming season schedule, historical background, and more information." And incidentally...they didn't list any asking prices for these units. I suppose if you have to ask, you can't afford them! (Actually, I just checked the website. The 3-bed, 3-bath unit goes for $1.1 million.)
- Pros:Everything in one place, excellent programming
- Cons:Very expensive, not a lot of diversity
In my continuing efforts to locate Episcopal parishes hither and yon, I am happy to report that the Chautauqua... more travel advice
Bunsch's Related Pages
Chautauqua Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Home of the Chautauqua Institution"
- "Randall_Burt's new Chautauqua Page"
- "Picturesque lakeside town"
- "windoweb's Chautauqua Page"
- "Chautauqua Institution and Lake"
- "Lake Chautauqua, New York"
- "Basaic Chautauqua Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chautauqua
- Hotels in Chautauqua
- Warnings and Dangers in Chautauqua
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Chautauqua
- 2 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (28)
Have you been to Chautauqua?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chautauqua
Photos in ChautauquaSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Providence Intro, 89 reviews, 93 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tokyo Intro, 57 reviews, 82 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Volterra Intro, 35 reviews, 41 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orvieto Intro, 24 reviews, 29 photos
- New York City Intro, 22 reviews, 27 photos
- Albuquerque Intro, 14 reviews, 35 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 11 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ravenna Intro, 21 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Parma Intro, 21 reviews, 19 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Haven Intro, 11 reviews, 15 photos