"Along the Turquoise Trail" Top 5 Page for this destination Madrid by Bunsch
Madrid Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 63 photos
It is MAD-rid, not Ma-DRID. And it is a "recovered ghost town" that now exists as an artists' colony, or, as a wag put it, "one big dysfunctional family." Multi-colored buildings, mailboxes, gazebos and fences with cascades of flowers, front yards full of wind chimes or fountains or sculptures, Madrid is as much a feast for the eyes as anything else. But I do seem to recall a really fabulous ice cream place, too.
I've learned to pay attention to these designations. Nearly always, it means that I'll be traveling on a much more interesting route as well as one which promises better scenery. It isn't the quickest way to get from Point A to Point B, but it means you can enjoy the journey a bit more.
Madrid is about half-way down the 62-mile Turquoise Trail from Santa Fe to Albuquerque and probably has the largest cluster of things to see, buy, or eat. If you happen to be passing on the first Saturday of any month, you can participate in the Madrid Art Walk (2:00 PM to 7:00 PM), and there is a bang-up July 4 parade annually.
Bunsch's Related Pages
Madrid Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Artist Colony on the Turquoise Trail"
- "On the Turquoise Trail"
- "A place to play along the Turquoise Trail"
- "Along the Turquoise Trail"
- "Madrid and Cerillos, NM"
- "Madrid, Careful How you Say It...."
- "MADRID, NEW MEXICO"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Madrid
- Hotels in Madrid
- Transportation in Madrid
- Restaurants in Madrid
- Shopping in Madrid
- Warnings and Dangers in Madrid
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Madrid
- 1 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (28)
Have you been to Madrid?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Madrid
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Providence Intro, 89 reviews, 93 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tokyo Intro, 57 reviews, 82 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Volterra Intro, 35 reviews, 41 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orvieto Intro, 24 reviews, 29 photos
- New York City Intro, 22 reviews, 27 photos
- Albuquerque Intro, 14 reviews, 35 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 11 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ravenna Intro, 21 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Parma Intro, 21 reviews, 19 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Haven Intro, 11 reviews, 15 photos