"The best of the West" Top 5 Page for this destination South Haven by Bunsch
South Haven Travel Guide: 78 reviews and 203 photos
Your pace may be quick in the city, but as you arrive in beautiful South Haven, at the western edge of Michigan and situated on the eponymous lake (check out the lighthouse, which reminds me of Rockport, Massachusetts' Motif No. 1), you'll find yourself beginning to unwind, to slow down, to take a few extra minutes to revel in your surroundings. I haven't had the pleasure of visiting in the shoulder seasons, but the summer is a marvelous carpet of treats: festivals, concerts, walking the dunes, boating, swimming, homemade ice cream, blueberries in every conceivable dish (but so good, just eaten in the hand), cool breezes at night.
Van Buren State Park, on Ruggles Road just south of the town, offers access to Lake Michigan and the sand dunes -- just don't get too close to the nuclear plant a little further down the coast! There is a nice bath house where you can shower after enjoying a dip in Lake Michigan. There's also a picnic area, grills, and children's play area. But for real adventure, try climbing one of the dunes. You'd be amazed at how massive and steep some of them are!
The South Haven Visitors Bureau has a helpful pamphlet giving the history of the town, whose status as a draw for tourists is documented by a 1900 resort directory listing 96 resorts within the municipal boundary! North Shore Drive was the site of many of the old hotels, simply because of proximity to the water. Ferries from Chicago used to make daily trips. Of interest is the synagogue; South Haven welcomed Jews even during periods when diversity was a dirty word. Old resort names like Fidelman's, Mendelson's and Weinstein's are found in the early directories, though in many instances these properties have now changed hands (and names).
- Pros:Compact central area, nice shopping, great boating, beach
- Cons:Still looking to find some
- In a nutshell:C'mon down for the Blueberry Festival!
Whether it is to see the 150 acres of blueberry bushes or the sample their delicious harvest, a South Haven guest ought... more travel advice
Even if you can't make it to the National Blueberry Festival, you can get your fill of blueberries and blueberry-related... more travel advice
Bunsch's Related Pages
South Haven Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Celebrating Summer's End"
- "Home of the Annual Blueberry Festival"
- "The best of the West"
- "SOUTH HAVEN MICHIGAN"
- "South Haven"
- "South Haven Lighthouse"
- "joeskier98's new South Haven Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in South Haven
- Hotels in South Haven
- Transportation in South Haven
- Restaurants in South Haven
- Shopping in South Haven
- Warnings and Dangers in South Haven
- See All...
Badges & Stats in South Haven
- 11 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (26)
Have you been to South Haven?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in South Haven
Photos in South HavenSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Providence Intro, 89 reviews, 92 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tokyo Intro, 57 reviews, 82 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Volterra Intro, 35 reviews, 41 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orvieto Intro, 24 reviews, 29 photos
- New York City Intro, 22 reviews, 27 photos
- Albuquerque Intro, 14 reviews, 35 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 11 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ravenna Intro, 21 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Parma Intro, 21 reviews, 19 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Haven Intro, 11 reviews, 15 photos