"A truly Superior place" Munising by Bunsch
Munising Travel Guide: 70 reviews and 149 photos
Yoopers -- those who live in Michigan's Upper Peninsula (or U.P., thus the name) -- are a strange breed of cat, but there's no denying that they live in one of the world's most beautiful places. Of course, you have to have a certain tolerance for snow (lots of it), black flies (lots of them), and other random plagues. Yoopers figure those are the price to keep Trolls (those who live "under the bridge" which in this case is the Mackinac Bridge connecting the U.P. to the mitten portion of the State of Michigan) away. I grew up in a Troll family but fairly early on we began making pilgrimages to the U.P. -- well, once the bridge opened! And about fifteen years ago, my father and his second wife bought some glorious property right on Lake Superior, and built a house which still awes me. More recently, they acquired a "camp" which, in Yooper parlance, is a place where one goes to hunt and fish or just get away from it all. Camp is about seven miles from the shore place, but it might as well be in a different universe. You don't see any other humans. It's damn near impossible to get there (snowmobiles help). But I digress. Does this sound like a place you'd like to visit? If you say "YES" then read on...
It would be giving away an important secret to tell you exactly where my father's piece of paradise is located. But if you drive east from Marquette, passing through the idyllic town of Christmas (don't forget to bring those cards you want hand-stamped!), you'll come to Munising. Like many other places in the U.P., Munising has a wealth of lake-related recreational activities. But is also has a spectacular waterfall -- there are, in fact, waterfalls all over the place up here -- which is easy to walk to, and enough churches to keep the religious folks happy and provide numerous craft fairs and other such events.
It wasn't easy to find, despite the traditional "Episcopal Church Welcomes You" directional signs, but eventually my... more travel advice
Bunsch's Related Pages
Munising Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Land of Waterfalls and Pictured Rocks Lakeshore"
- "Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore"
- "On the shores of Gitche Gumee"
- "Say Yah to Da UP, Eh !"
- "A Nice Getaway"
- "Munising, Michigan by Kimberlyann"
- "A truly Superior place"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Munising
- Hotels in Munising
- Transportation in Munising
- Nightlife in Munising
- Restaurants in Munising
- Warnings and Dangers in Munising
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Munising
- 2 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (26)
Have you been to Munising?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Munising
Photos in MunisingSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Providence Intro, 89 reviews, 92 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tokyo Intro, 57 reviews, 82 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Volterra Intro, 35 reviews, 41 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orvieto Intro, 24 reviews, 29 photos
- New York City Intro, 22 reviews, 27 photos
- Albuquerque Intro, 14 reviews, 35 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 11 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ravenna Intro, 21 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Parma Intro, 21 reviews, 19 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Haven Intro, 11 reviews, 15 photos