"GO BLUE" Top 5 Page for this destination Ann Arbor by Bunsch

Ann Arbor Travel Guide: 144 reviews and 160 photos

Let's talk football

In the great state of Michigan, there is a kind of Hatfield/McCoy relationship between those who attended or at least root for the Michigan Wolverines, and those whose allegiance is to the Michigan State Spartans. I don't know what the historical record reveals, but my firm, non-fact-based belief is that Michigan has got the edge in terms of the football teams, and that State has the edge in basketball. Yup, they play hockey, too, and a lot of other sports, but you can't really call yourself a Michigander if you don't know what's up with the big two. Having spent some early years (pre-K) and later ones (law) in Ann Arbor, daughter of a Michigan professor, former wife of a Michigan doctor, I think you can probably guess that I'm all about maize and blue. Now that Bo is gone, and Lloyd has retired, I am waiting on tenterhooks to see whether we can regain our usual Rose Bowl form.

Three years into the era of Rich Rodriguez, I'm still waiting...

But there is so much else to love!

Spending so much time in Ann Arbor, I found it a veritable hive of cultural activity. Superb music and theater are available, of course, but also fun events like the outdoor movies shown on the plaza behind the Power Center. Sports enthusiasts find the town has plenty in the way of running and biking trails, kayaking, canoeing, and municipal centers where a range of fitness classes are taught. There are excellent libraries. Those who enjoy a range of shopping experiences will not be disappointed. The U provides a huge energy driver to the town, but Ann Arbor itself has much to offer.

• Pros:Big university town, with all that implies
  • Cons:Big university town, with all that implies
  • In a nutshell:A good place to be at any age
  • Last visit to Ann Arbor: Aug 2012
  • Intro Updated Sep 7, 2012

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Feb 25, 2012 at 11:40 PM

Happy Birthday and greetings from Frankfurt am Main. I enjoyed reading your Ann Arbor tips. I also grew up in a university town (Evanston, Illinois) and used to work in another (Berkeley, California) so I can well imagine the atmosphere.

Bunsch Used To Live Here!

Bunsch

“Onward and upward!”

Badges & Stats in Ann Arbor

Have you been to Ann Arbor?

Latest Activity in Ann Arbor