"Yale, and a lot more" Top 5 Page for this destination New Haven by Bunsch
New Haven Travel Guide: 223 reviews and 437 photos
Around the turn of the century (don't you just love the sound of that phrase?), I was dating a Yale professor for several years. He introduced me to some of the marvelous musical offerings at Yale -- and I suppose I shouldn't shortchange the theatre, as well, since we spent a lot of time at Yale Rep and at undergraduate productions of various kinds. Later on, I developed friendships with some M.Mus. students and thereafter made a point of visiting New Haven for their recitals. (If you want to hear something not in the usual repertoire, try the M.Mus. recitals.) So while New Haven is chock-full of education, medical care, historical sites, etc. I definitely associate it with music and hope you'll spent the time on the Yale website (www.yale.edu) to get information on current events.
New Haven is also known as the American birthplace of a couple of gustatory pleasures: pizza and hamburgers. The pizza story begins with Pepe's, but it is only slightly older that Sally's, which is practically next door on Wooster Street. Both of these establishments make superb pies -- thin, crispy crusts, zingy sauce, not too much cheese. The hamburger originated in 1900 at Louie's Lunch, a hole-in-the-wall diner on Crown Street. They are grilled vertically and served on white sandwich bread without condiments (though you can get a slice of cheese if you ask politely). Not to be missed! (New Haven has other fine restaurants, but I'll "review" those in the Tips section.)
We had a perfectly splendid meal at Zinc, and judging from the popularity and various restaurant reviews, that is more... more travel advice
Bunsch's Related Pages
New Haven Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "New Haven & Yale, Connecticut"
- "Most definitely not what you may be expecting...."
- "zChris' New Haven"
- "New Haven Connecticut"
- "Yale, and a lot more"
- "New Haven, Connecticut"
- "The City that Yale Built"
- See All...
- Things to Do in New Haven
- Hotels in New Haven
- Transportation in New Haven
- Nightlife in New Haven
- Restaurants in New Haven
- Shopping in New Haven
- Warnings and Dangers in New Haven
- See All...
Badges & Stats in New Haven
- 2 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to New Haven?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in New Haven
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Providence Intro, 91 reviews, 90 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tokyo Intro, 57 reviews, 82 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Volterra Intro, 35 reviews, 41 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orvieto Intro, 24 reviews, 29 photos
- New York City Intro, 23 reviews, 27 photos
- Albuquerque Intro, 14 reviews, 35 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 11 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ravenna Intro, 21 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Parma Intro, 21 reviews, 19 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Stratford Intro, 13 reviews, 20 photos