"Yale, and a lot more" Top 5 Page for this destination New Haven by Bunsch

New Haven Travel Guide: 215 reviews and 369 photos

Music, music, music

Around the turn of the century (don't you just love the sound of that phrase?), I was dating a Yale professor for several years. He introduced me to some of the marvelous musical offerings at Yale -- and I suppose I shouldn't shortchange the theatre, as well, since we spent a lot of time at Yale Rep and at undergraduate productions of various kinds. Later on, I developed friendships with some M.Mus. students and thereafter made a point of visiting New Haven for their recitals. (If you want to hear something not in the usual repertoire, try the M.Mus. recitals.) So while New Haven is chock-full of education, medical care, historical sites, etc. I definitely associate it with music and hope you'll spent the time on the Yale website (www.yale.edu) to get information on current events.

From the sublime to the ridiculous

New Haven is also known as the American birthplace of a couple of gustatory pleasures: pizza and hamburgers. The pizza story begins with Pepe's, but it is only slightly older that Sally's, which is practically next door on Wooster Street. Both of these establishments make superb pies -- thin, crispy crusts, zingy sauce, not too much cheese. The hamburger originated in 1900 at Louie's Lunch, a hole-in-the-wall diner on Crown Street. They are grilled vertically and served on white sandwich bread without condiments (though you can get a slice of cheese if you ask politely). Not to be missed! (New Haven has other fine restaurants, but I'll "review" those in the Tips section.)

• Last visit to New Haven: Nov 2009
  • Intro Updated Nov 30, 2009

• fabrice's Profile Photo
    Sep 16, 2008 at 12:58 AM

I crossed Connecticut by coach very early in the morning and everything was so peaceful

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Nov 16, 2007 at 11:06 AM

I just saw a PBS special on Pizza and I'm sure Pepe's was mentioned, apparently there's a lot of good pizza in New Haven!

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Mar 18, 2007 at 5:39 AM

Good start! I'm looking forward to your page as I haven't spent time in this nearby city and should take a drive one day soon. Hopefully you'll tell me exactly where I should go.

Bunsch Visits Here Frequently!

Bunsch

“Onward and upward!”

Badges & Stats in New Haven

Have you been to New Haven?

Latest Activity in New Haven