"A Very Strange Venue for a Church Convention" Top 5 Page for this destination West Hollywood by Bunsch

West Hollywood Travel Guide: 112 reviews and 413 photos

WeHo -- Gay Capital

Okay, so I wasn't really expecting to find myself in West Hollywood for a gathering of Episcopalians -- please, no jokes about Vickie Gene! But that's where we all stayed, and I must say that things were mostly tame, unlike the photograph of the float from a recent Gay Pride Parade. In fact, West Hollywood seemed pretty much like any other moderately well-off area in the USA, until the sun set. Then the clientele at the bars and restaurants was disproportionately male. Further than that, I'm not prepared to say.

And just down the street...Beverly Hills!

A mile or so from our hotel on Santa Monica Boulevard, one reaches a lovely linear park and the border of Beverly Hills. Rodeo Drive and the shopping district is to the left, and extremely pricey real estate is to the right. The house immediately behind the church where we met had to be one-of-a-kind. Check it out.

And slightly further afield, Mission San Gabriel

The third mission founded in California by Fr. Junipero Serra, the Mission San Gabriel is a pleasant place to sit enjoying the cool sound of the fountain or the peal of its bells. There is a rudimentary museum, but my imagination was captured by the "camposanto" -- field of saints -- where 6000 Indians and numerous Catholic brothers are buried amongst flowers.

• Pros:Wildlife
  • Cons:Wildlife
  • Last visit to West Hollywood: Jan 2007
  • Intro Updated Feb 1, 2007

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Feb 14, 2008 at 1:03 PM

Quite a blend of people in West Hollywood...Happy Valentine's Day, Adrienne!

• yooperprof's Profile Photo
    Nov 13, 2007 at 7:37 PM

I'll have to tell you about the time that I ran into Jane Wyman in a West Hollywood grocery store.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Nov 11, 2007 at 12:44 PM

I've just googled Vicki Gene so now I at least know who you were talking about. Can't think of any jokes about him, though.

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Apr 18, 2007 at 8:51 PM

That's some main picture you've got there! Loved the gingerbread Village People.

• themajor's Profile Photo
    Mar 28, 2007 at 4:54 PM

It's much jollier to run across a decent review of an indecent hotel than a banal review of a dull one. You get to enjoy all the pleasure whilst enduring none of the pain. Rather like sheltering under an umbrella whilst those around you run for cover...

Bunsch

“Onward and upward!”

Badges & Stats in West Hollywood

Have you been to West Hollywood?