"Ham? Cheese? Violets?" Top 5 Page for this destination Parma by Bunsch
Parma Travel Guide: 262 reviews and 771 photos
Here's the thing about virtually everyplace you go in Italy: there's art. No just random crappy oils, sculpture, frescoes, mosaics...but fabulous stuff, the kind of thing that if one single piece were in a church somewhere in the USA, people would come from all over just to see it. The Italians seem pretty blase about this cultural feast, but it is overwhelming to someone whose idea of "old" is 100 years.
Composer Giuseppe Verdi was born in the small village of Roncole near Parma and a music festival is celebrated in his honor every year. The small airport of Parma is named after him. Other famous artists born in Parma or known to have worked there include Benedetto Antelami, Correggio, Parmigianino, Bodoni, Salimbene, and Toscanini (whose house is a good place to visit).
Parma was founded by the Etruscans and transformed into a Roman colony in 183 BC. Its importance was derived mainly from its location along one of the important Roman roads. Although it quickly gained a fair measure of prosperity, the city was conquered and destroyed repeatedly. In peaceful times, Parma built up its castles, inns and hospitals as more and more travellers stopped by on the road that linked northern Europe with Rome.
- Pros:Excellent food, incredible art, pleasant streets
- In a nutshell:John Grisham, thanks for the publicity!
People in Parma take their opera seriously, which is what you might expect from a city which bred both Verdi and... more travel advice
Rannuccio I Farnese, Duke of Parma, was responsible for this massive pile, intending to incorporate barracks, stables,... more travel advice
- See All Some like it hot
- See All When in Rome (or Parma), do as the...
- Everything's coming up...violets?
Bunsch's Related Pages
Parma Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A real parmigiana"
- "Ham? Cheese? Violets?"
- "P A R M A"
- "Henrik's Parma page"
- "Parma - small clubs can still win big titles"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Parma
- Hotels in Parma
- Transportation in Parma
- Nightlife in Parma
- Restaurants in Parma
- Shopping in Parma
- Warnings and Dangers in Parma
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Parma
- 21 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (26)
Have you been to Parma?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Parma
Photos in ParmaSee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Providence Intro, 89 reviews, 92 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tokyo Intro, 57 reviews, 82 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Volterra Intro, 35 reviews, 41 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orvieto Intro, 24 reviews, 29 photos
- New York City Intro, 22 reviews, 27 photos
- Albuquerque Intro, 14 reviews, 35 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 11 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ravenna Intro, 21 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Parma Intro, 21 reviews, 19 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Stratford Intro, 10 reviews, 19 photos